1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V battery dead?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prscht, Jul 10, 2016.

1. prscht

prscht Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,
    the Optima yellow top 12V battery in my 2007 prius is 3.5 years old. Car was off for a few months so the battery was dead. Jumped it, drove for 40 minutes, powered off, won't power back on again (MFD showing transmission not in 'P' Park mode, red triangle with explanation mark, weak or no dash lights, flashing green light on Park button, etc). Jumped again, drove for 1.5 hours, power cycled multiple times, this time everything was fine.

Car sat overnight, the next day, MFD diagnositc screen in Accessary mode reads 11.9, but car power cycles just fine. Keep using existing battery?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, if you want to continue the drama described in your OP.

If you prefer the car to actually start when you depress the POWER button, then replace the 12V battery now.

Or, charge the 12V battery overnight using a charger with a 4 A setting. Driving the car for 40 minutes plus 90 minutes is insufficient to fully-charge a depleted battery.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I get the impression that your Prius is trying to tell you something! …like "PLEASE REPLACE MY AUXILIARY (12V) BATTERY!!! …PLEASE!!!! …PLEASE!!! …pretty PLEAseeesss… ……(…and as W. Shakespeare might say, "The rest is silence!!!") o_O:whistle:;)

bisco likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No battery in that scenario would have bounced back completely. You could try charging: use a smart charger, let it fully charge (if it will), not exceeding the max amperage for charging recommendation in the Owner's Manual. Then drive it for a day or two, before doing any testing or making a decision.

You can do a rudimentary check of voltage with a digital multimeter. Better would be a load test. There's now prosumer level digital load testers, Solar BA5 for one. Or have some pros do the test.

Or just do the charging session, and see how it goes. Still, a 3.5 years old battery with several months downtime is not going to last much longer.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    optima's are supposed to be able to handle full discharge better than oem, so i would put a trickle on it, and then keep an eye on it until comfortable one way or the other.
    next time you are leaving for a few months, disconnect the neg bat. cable.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When you decide to replace it, Toyota currently has a Prius Battery with a 84 month (prorated) warranty.

7. prscht

prscht Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Forgot to mention, after powering down for the night, I found the battery to be hot to the touch. And there's a hissing sound. Are these batteries supposed to be red hot with the hissing sound?

8. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to fully charge the battery, let it rest and then check it. You can charge it with a battery charger or by leaving the car in READY mode. In either case the battery should be charged for at least 12 hours. After charging, wait at least 8 hours and then check the voltage. The resting time will allow any surface charge to dissipate. Checking the voltage immediately after charging it will give you a high false voltage.

Letting it sit discharged for an extended period of time is bad for any 12v battery. The Optima yellow top is supposed to withstand this treatment better than a conventional 12v battery, but you probably have lost some capacity. I have a 4 1/2 year old Optima in a low mileage 2007, and I now get 12.8 volts when I check it after allowing it to sit overnight. I have discharged my battery once, but it only sat overnight before I recharged it.

If it were my car, I'd replace the battery if it won't hold 12.5 volts or so after a full charge cycle.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    red hot with a hissing sound?:eek: that battery would have been out of my car before you could say, 'where's your mama'. and an immediate phone call to optima.

aaroncv3 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So now the drama is going to include a battery that catches on fire?

Get rid of the battery, now!

bisco and aaroncv3 like this.
  11. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get rid of that battery right now! It looks like you posted that tidbit while I was composing my previous reply in post #8.

bisco and aaroncv3 like this.
  12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would buy a new battery DESIGNED for your Prius before driving it again. Neither Red hot nor hissing should ever describe a car battery.

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope the o/p is still with us.:(