1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Battery Fluctuations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Aaron, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My ScanGauge II is saying my Optima Yellow Top while in READY mode cruising down the highway is 13.4V. When I came to a stop and put the vehicle in park, it switched to 14.0V. Out of curiosity I put it in drive and it went back down to 13.4V.

Yesterday while driving on the highway for about 30 minutes it read 14V the entire trip. What's going on? Normal?

Yesterday I also had my battery tested directly on the battery at Advance Auto Parts with a computer battery tester certified for AGM batteries. It tested at 12.75V exactly, which is normal.

DROID RAZR ? 4 Beta

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is your charging voltage out of the Inverter. Wide variations sometimes in battery charging. Doubt there's any issue. 12.7 sitting no load is about right.

True test of battery health is done here on the second test the load test. Do this after the car has sat overnight.
    You may have seen this already but it works:

Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

Btw, its a very good thing if your concerned about the 12 volt battery health to put it on a battery charger once a month for a full charge. Its good for the battery to see a maximum charge periodically. Alot of us on here do this once a month.

Best part about that is you can keep an eye on it how long it takes to reach a max charge.
    My newish Yellow Top charges to the max real fast as I would expect.Not sure how old yours is.
    A slow charging battery is a very good barometer if the battery is starting to get old or sulphating. Once that starts taking a long time to charge up you know the battery is about to give up the ghost. Use a charger with a meter not LED's as its a little more accurate usually.

Aaron likes this.
  3. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks. It was made May 2012. Installed by me October 2012.

DROID RAZR ? 2

4. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

Did you fully charge the battery before you installed it ? All new 12V batteries need to be properly charged before use.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes. I have a trickle charger and charged it fully before installing it.

Question.... What is considered a slow and fast charge?

I noticed on my ScanGauge II that even with the car COMPLETELY off I can press the "on" button on the ScanGauge and it will come on and shows 12.8V. This might be better and more accurate than doing the Display procedure you mentioned above. That procedure showed 12.4V probably because the display screen was on and pulling volts.

DROID RAZR ? 2

6. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Charging systems aren't a constant voltage. They very widely depending on load. If you hold the brake and put the vehicle in gear. the brake lamps are drawing voltage as well as all the other systems that are working. As long as it's
    over 12.3 volts, I wouldn't worry about it. The scan gauge is reading voltage interpreted by the ECM. Not the batteries
    voltage at the battery posts.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

What state should the vehicle be in when you say "as long as it's over 12.3 volts"? One press of the power button? Two?

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have to put a load on it. Press power button twice without foot on brake. measure then.
    Sounds like your battery is fine though.
    Don't worry about charging voltage. Its all over the place.

Aaron likes this.
  9. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My trickle charger says it's 2 Amps.

10. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    The ECM is off when the car is power off so the OP is not referring to the PID read by ECM. The built-in PID in ScanGauge, VLT, is actually reading the voltage feed into it's microprocessor, close enough to the voltage at the battery posts.

Vincent

11. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

Do you have a schematic so we can verify it's reading input data and not interpreted output ?
    I'll bet it's an output value given to the Scan Gauge by the ECM
    I say this, because the Scan Gauge is reading the ECM information the same as a scan tool would through the OBDII connector.
    That's all interpreted data output by the ECM. The only way to read input voltage is at the ECM's
    connectors on the voltage (directly) input circuits.
    You could also monitor both and see the difference the OBDII data outputs.

Pin #16 on the OBDII connector is direct battery voltage. Pin #4 is the ground circuit.
    With the proper schematic, we could see what data the Scan Gauge is reading. If it's reading pin#16 it's actual direct battery voltage. Otherwise, it's ECM output data on the CAN circuit. Either way, you can't see the input voltage to the ECM's processor with the Scan Gauge. Only the ECM output information or actual battery voltage straight from pin #16. It's not the same as the ECM's output voltage reading will be.

12. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    This is a known "feature" of the gen 2 Prius 12V charging system when it's not too cold out. Other ways to move it back up to 14 V include turning the headlight or A/C on.

So maybe you had the headlight or A/C on this time?

13. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    No, the SGII schematic is proprietary but it is still connected to the OBDII port which is std.

[​IMG]

When the car is Off, the ECM is also Off so it can't be sending interpreted data on the CAN bus. ECM can only communicate when car is in Ig-On or READY.

I've made an adapter for SGII before and the VLT will show the battery voltage even not connected to car, just connected to a 9V battery. The 9V battery is connected to pin 16 and pin 4 only, all other pins are not connected.

[​IMG]

The PID read by ECM is blank when the car is Off. OTOH, SGII is able to show the battery voltage when the car is Off. When the car is in Ig-On or READY, then the PID read by ECM will show up and it is usually slightly different from the SGII's reading.

Vincent

14. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That means the Scan Gauge is reading ECM interpreted output information and not input data. Otherwise it would be reading pin #16 and it would show up without the key on.

15. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I found some PID data to show the difference in voltage specs.

Attached Files:

16. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As 2009Prius said, this is totally normal!

Many of us regularly see exactly this happen. It's basically just a two stage charging system (though with a slightly quirky implementation). When the temperature is warm enough, and after you've driven for about 25 minutes or more, then it reduces the charging voltage from around 14 volts down to about 13.4V.

I know it's seems strange that shifting to park (or turning on the aircond or blower) puts it back to 14V, but that is just the quirky way it's implemented. Your car is behaving exactly as normal.

Aaron likes this.
  17. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good to know! Appreciate the info.

DROID RAZR ? 2

18. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    With my adapter connected to 9V battery and not to car, it reads about 9V. So, yes, it is reading from pin 16. If it were to read about 12V, then I would have agreed with you.

Anyway, I suggest you borrow a SGII and see it for yourself.

Vincent

19. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine will be here tomorrow. If it's reading pin#16, it's reading battery voltage from the chassis feed circuit
    that's feed through the main fuse block and not through the ECM.

20. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    This leaves me intrigued, because I have consistently noted about a 0.23V difference between that I read at the front jump points and that shown to me by SGII... In your 9V test above, did you simultaneously compare the SG-shown value to that shown by a digital multimeter?