1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V battery maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by iralyons, Dec 31, 2008.

1. iralyons

iralyons New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008 Prius, pkg #5. It gets used about once every 2-3 weeks in the winter. Is there maintenance to the 12V battery that will help it to maintain a charge? I have a portable, re-chargeable 12 V battery pack, JNS Jump-n-start (400 cold-cranking amps). Can this be used to charge the Prius' 12 V battery?

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Turn off the smart key system (SKS). If you drive it at least 30 minutes every two weeks that should be sufficient to keep it charged, although the total life of the battery may be somewhat reduced. Judging from reports here it appears that about four years is typical life in a cold climate.

If there are any after-market electronics installed that you can't disconnect and which may present additional loads it would be wise to put a battery tender on it. Your JNS will get you going if the battery dies, but I believe it won't keep the battery charged.