1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Battery Monitor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ccdisce, Feb 28, 2011.

1. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 people like this.
  2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    For gen2 Prius from the OBD port we can get the 12V battery voltage, the HV battery temperature and outside air temperature. The latter two give a rough estimate of the 12V battery temperature. The chip above adds the capability to measure 12V battery current which I don't know whether we can get from the OBD port or not.

What I do is periodically, maybe twice a month, put the battery under some load by turning on headlights and rear defogger and look at the battery voltage. This establishes a baseline. I posted some data here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-trip-record-fun-early-problem-detection.html
    If I start to see the voltage under load to drop significantly then I know the battery may be sick.

3. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What I was hoping for was a package that I would install and forget ...until it sounds a Klaxon warning of impending death of the 12V battery a couple of weeks before the actual event. A day downcount on a LCD counting down the days to battery failure is good.

1 person likes this.