1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v battery, mpg tracker--normal or Mouse?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gracie of the Blue Ridge, Jul 26, 2023.

1. Gracie of the Blue Ridge

Gracie of the Blue Ridge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Betty* is a 2016 Prius V, bought used 3 yrs ago, with 117,000 mi; I need to to last twice that, like her mama, Stella, my Corolla wagon. No serious issues, I don't think, but two kinda wonky things.

The first is the 12 volt battery. It's at least years old, so yeah, could be nearing end of life. 19 out of 20 times the car starts just fine. Then I get the "auxiliary battery doesn't have enough juice," message. But once, after getting the message, when I was getting ready to jump it, it started up on its own. That was weird. It will start on its own for weeks, even when I forget to turn ac, etc off before turning off. Then it might need jumping on/off a couple times, then good for weeks. Auto zone tried to test it, twice. The first time, maybe a year ago? they kept saying they couldn't get a read, then did and it was fine. This time they gave up without getting a read, and it started just fine.

So I started watching the little diagram of where power us going, that shows engine, then hybrid battery, then what I assume is this one??? It never shows blue bars all the way to the top. Even when driving, it will show power going from this one to the hybrid or engine, with blue bars disappearing, then going back up. I know on a non hybrid, the battery should be charging, not discharging, unless alternator issue, so not sure what this means???

Then there is the main and trip odometer mpg data. The main one, with lifetime miles, usually stays pretty much the same all the time, but lately has varies from 25pmg to 47 mpg. Same with trip odometers.

So the two together made me wonder...about mice. I did get a mouse in it on a camping trip. (Ironically, I was parked next to another Pius V and owner was saying she had a mouse problem; I think one of hers jumped ship.) I had signs in the glove box, and later in a bag with hiking snacks, but could not catch in trap, nor hear sleeping in car. My two cats show a lot of interest in the car...but always did.

Soooo...my questions are:
    - whatdya think is going on with the battery?
    - could it have a slightly chewed line somewhere?.
    - if so, how do you find it test? t
    - best way to test battery?
    - is it ok to keep jumping it until dies completely? (kinda waiting for the fall battery sales)
    - is the mpg variation stuff normal, or could there be a wire issue on that, too?

* She is named Betty after Queen Elizabeth, for longevity; Betty White for playful spirit; and Betty, a friend's French bulldog for being ..we just everything.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Change the 12v battery for reliability. Maybe $200. Then see how the rest goes.

Be sure to watch avg trip mpg, not instantaneous. I doubt your hybrid battery is weak yet. A hybrid battery is designed to charge and discharge. Forget about it and put some calming music on.

Know what the high temp light looks like it and respect that little guy. He can bite.

The car will light up like a christmas tree if it has a real hybrid problem.

#2 rjparker, Jul 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
    Tim Jones and Air_Boss like this.
  3. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This car doesn't even come close to the reliability of the Corolla.......... not even half as reliable... especially as the miles start to add up... I currently drive two toyota's (Previa-Matrix) and they have a combined miles of over 675,000 miles and very minimal problems. The real toyota quality..... the Gen 3 simply not even close to that kind of service.
    The gen 3 is the only car that I have owned with a bad Head Gasket.
    Sell it to some goof that wants a prius..... might get a good price with 117,000 Then get a used Corolla or Camry... non hybrid... and rack up the carefree miles.
    I had a Camry and sold it last year..... just didn't have a place to keep it when I moved into town just over 300,000 and the AC worked...

#3 Tim Jones, Jul 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
  4. Gracie of the Blue Ridge

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I intend to, but $200 is a lot of money for some of us (ok, me), so was hoping for a sale, which are usually in the fall, AND if there is a wire issue, I want to know before I get a new one. So, any way to test for that?

#4 Gracie of the Blue Ridge, Jul 27, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2023
  5. Gracie of the Blue Ridge

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Um, I thought I posted this to the Prius forum; If you dislike Priuses, why are you here?

Please note that I did not ask about whether to get rid of this car, just about whether I was dealing with a regular maintenance issue, or a mouse issue--which the Corolla also fell prey--and how to determine which. Sorry if you missed that.

I'm also sorry if you had an issue with your Prius, but hopefully you're mature enough to understand that there are always a few underperforming individual vehicles-- plus none of us here can ascertain if you were a contributing factor to its issues. So please, don't project your problem onto the millions of highly satisfied Prius owners of ~17 years.

Moreover: I wanted a wagon, because I am a car camper with a large dog. (Following guidance on this forum, I took out back seat and built a platform with storage space, which has given me far more luxurious accommodations than the Corolla ever did). Toyota was not selling Corolla wagons when I needed to replace the 95 with 350k. The Matrix was not appropriately ergonomic for me. But most importantly, many of us--especially those of us who are environmental scientists--know the dismal facts about climate change and feel a personal responsibility--as everyone should-- to reducing our carbon footprints, and are doing our part by buying hybrida and EVs. I could not afford an EV; it was difficult enough to find a Prius owner willing to part with one...which again speaks toowner satisfaction.

Perhaps you should request PriusChat open a secrion for Dissatisfied Owners to share your opinions and advice?

6. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Why even respond..........?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's the miles at now? If you want it to last (not blow the head gasket) I would get on EGR cleaning ASAP. See first two links in my signature. On a phone turn it landscape.

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That 12v battery will fail suddenly if jump starting is regularly needed. Maybe ten miles away in a mall parking lot. Prius agm 12v batteries don't go on sale. In fact $200 would be a discount price at a dealer. That is an auto supply or online price.

Mpg won't be impacted by wire damage. Functions that don't work or trouble codes could result.

While not typical, a bad 12v battery can cause reduced average mpg. A really bad 12v battery may require more or continuous charging current while the car is operational.

Normal batteries require very little charging current since the inverter's dc to dc converter supplies all operational needs, therefore a good 12v battery just floats from a charge standpoint.

Air_Boss likes this.
  9. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Intermittent problems with your 12-volt could be due to a problem inside the battery, or to a loose terminal connection. "A slightly chewed line somewhere" is unlikely. The best quick test is checking the voltage directly on the battery terminals. If the battery is failing, "to keep jumping it until dies completely" is unwise, because one day you'll need a jump in a spot when no opportunity is available---and then still need a new battery. You can buy a new battery for a lot less than most dealers charge, and it's easy to change.