1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V battery - my readings seem low

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Codyroo, May 27, 2010.

1. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All,

My Prius is 2 months old and has about 3700 miles on it. My 12V battery has not died, but I was curious to check on its status (armed with the battery checking instructions I've found posted in the past on this site).

I checked it several times in the last 24 hours.

A) Yesterday afternoon before leaving work (temp = 60 F)
    B} Yesterday immediately after stopping my car (after driving for ~ 1 hour)
    C) This morning after letting it sit overnight (temp = high 40's)
    D) After I drove to work (45 minute drive)
    E) After letting it sit for 3 hours

When I drive, I typically use the cruise control, have the radio playing, and the NAV screen is on. Headlights are usually on as I've been leaving for work early in the morning or coming home in the evening. Defroster/AC/Fan aren't used. I did use the seat warmers for the first 5 minutes of my 45 minute drive this morning, but turned them off. No other accessories have been added or are used.

The results are fairly comparable each time I've checked it, although the results for the last check (E) are even lower.

For A - D
    11.7 V = Initial power up (after getting through the menu to the diagnostic screen)
    11.4 V = Pressing the power button a second time to put a minor load on the battery
    14.1 V = Putting the car into ready mode

For E (after sitting for 3 hours)
    11.4 V = Initial power up (after getting through the menu to the diagnostic screen)
    11.2 V = Pressing the power button a second time to put a minor load on the battery
    10.5 V = Turning on the lights and putting on the defroster
    14.0 V = Putting the car into ready mode.

The instructions I had printed out mentioned that putting the car into the Vehicle signal check mode should show a batter voltage of 12.4 to 12.8 Volts. Similar threads I've read (after doing a search) has show some folks seeing 11.7 V, but they've been in threads inquiring if their batter voltage is too low.

OK - for the people far more knowledgable than I

Do you think my voltages are too low or are within the realm of "normal"? Is there anything else I should check?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you checked the actual battery voltage against the Vehicle Service Menu screen ? I did this with mine and found out that the Service Menu screen was reading -0.7V lower than the actual battery voltage.

I did the same thing and was thinking that my new battery appeared to be low based on the readings listed here. Once I took a reading right at the battery, I found the discrepency.

3. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Below 12 volts at rest seems low. Do you have a security system that runs while you are not operating the car? A healthy battery should read 12.8 to 13 volts after a rest. The 14 volt readings you got is "system voltage" which is the reading including the 12 volt generator operating.
    Take JD's suggestion and get the readings at the battery terminals or the "jump start" terminals under the hood (power off).

4. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've not taken the voltage at the battery terminals (don't have a volt meter), the only values I have are from the Vehicle Service Menu screen.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I found that the car & the ScanGauge report voltages within .1 volt of each other. IMO your numbers sound low except for the system charging your battery. I would hook it up to a charger & see how long it takes to report a full charge. Check the numbers again & see what happens. The good news is that if your battery dies inside of 3yr/36000 miles its a warranty repair. The bad news is that the replacement battery has a 1 year warranty. If there really is a drain on the battery I'd want to find & fix it.

6. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I agree with jdcollins5.

The Vehicle Service Menu screen is a convenient approximate indicator, but the only way to know for sure is to measure directly on the battery posts with a meter that has an accuracy of .1 Volt or better.

Low voltage measured elswhere could possibly result from other causes, such as a poor connection.

7. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I purchased an inexpensive ($30) meter from Lowes today. My wife had my car, but I checked it after she got home (thus car had been driven for ~ 20 minutes when I got to it).

12.6 Volts standing.

12.4 Volts when I powered it up with a light load.

I put the car in ready mode and the voltage was above 14.0 Volts (14.1 I think)

So it appears that my battery is OK. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

8. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Glad to hear that Codyroo!

You might want to check the voltage at the fuse box too, in order to rule out a bad connection.
    For comparison, the voltage drop from the battery to the fuse box in ignition on (not ready) with AC fan low is .2 Volt in my 2007 Prius, which I blindly assume to be normal.

That may sound like quite a bit of voltage drop, but considering that the cable to the battery must be around five meters long, I think it's OK.

#8 Fred_H, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  9. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK, my car has been "starting" to give me some issues with the "Ready" light. I put my foot on the brake and the Start light goes green. At least 4 times over the last 5 days, the car would not go into "Ready" mode after putting my foot on the brake and pressing the Start button. I'll get a lot of icons displayed but no ready light. I've tried altering how hard I press the brake pedal (one time even getting the hill assist to kick on), but that doesn't seem to matter.

This afternoon, before I left work, I checked the battery via the onscreen diagnostic. I got

9.6 V = Initial power up (after getting through the menu to the diagnostic screen)
    9.4 V = Pressing the power button a second time to put a minor load on the battery
    14.0 V = Putting the car into ready mode

As you can see (from my replied post from May) this is quite a drop over the last 4 months. I've got a volt meter in the garage I can check with tomorrow morning.

One other unusual thing, I'm having a hard time getting into and staying in the diagnostic. Twice, when I was in the diagnostic, the car kicked me out of it (once when I hit the start button to put the car into Ready mode, the other time when I pressed the power button a second time).

Any other thoughts?

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Those are really low numbers. I suspect a defective battery. Toyota probably won't replace it till it flat out dies though. Give your dealer a call as see what they will do.

11. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Planning on calling soon, just so busy at work this week. Hopefully Thursday will work out.

Readings from this morning (using a volt meter)

10.4 V = Initial power up
    9.7 V = Putting a minor load on it
    14.4 V = Ready mode (engine running, it was first thing in the morning).

I'm also having difficulty getting into the onscreen diagnostic. I press the power button once, then while I'm turning on the headlights, the display screen "resets" with the Toyota emblem and by the time I've done the lights x 3, it's not showing the diagnostic screen (getting the normal radio display instead).

12. partsmore

partsmore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thats why I installed a deep cycle Optima D51 in my car brand new.
    They will maintain a slightly higher voltage under any load and reduce demands on charging system.

batteriesareus is where I got it and have their xpc550 on order for my car when I update the stereo and add an amp.

13. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    While and if you are standing in line to have your car looked at, put as much load on the battery as possible, preferably NOT in ready mode. You want to easily convince the dealer that the battery is bad. They seem to have some ineptitude with 12V batteries. :cheer2:

14. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Radio, seat warmers, rear window defroster, bright lights, wipers on fastest setting, emergency flashers (am I missing any?) lol

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cabin air temp set to max heat, and turn on the cabin fan to the highest position.

I agree with the concern that the battery test used by the Toyota dealer service dept will pass marginal batteries. It may be a waste of the OP's time and money to take the car in, until the battery actually dies. However the dead battery would probably be a serious inconvenience to the OP, not to mention towing charges, safety issues, etc.

Might be better just to buy a new 12V battery out of pocket and DIY install, rather than deal with those hassles. MSRP should be $139.

16. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Less than 10V is low unless you're pulling 100A out of it (which I assume you're not by just turning it on).

Sounds like a weak battery to me.

I'd think there should still be 11.5+V at the battery without the charger coming on in ready mode.

17. partsmore

partsmore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  18. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    From the linked page:
    Do the dimensions fit gen 2 Prius?
    How is the weight compared to OEM battery?
    Does the terminal size fit gen 2 Prius or does it need adapters like the "yellow top"?
    Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  19. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Patrick,

You've just touched upon my biggest concern, that the battery is "marginal" and they won't replace under warranty (then I'll be out the $125/hour of inspection + $139 (plus tax) for a new battery.

The car has shown some "symptoms" of a problem by not going into Ready mode (which I assume is a low battery voltage issue (as discussed in the "my prius balks" thread in this forum). But if it isn't consistent, I can't get them there.

I've got data showing the battery at 10.4 V. I checked it last night after driving home (60 min) and the battery was reading 12.5 V. But this morning it was back to 10.4 V. After my drive to work, I checked it after it sat for 3 hours and it was 10.4 V.

Will they look at a 10.4 V battery and say there is an issue or not? That is the $300 question? Does anyone know the answer?

20. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did installing this battery require any modifications to the car in order to connect it? Or were you able to unhook the old battery and install this one with no changes whatsoever?