1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v. Battery Needed for Hymotion to Work

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by peoriacab, Jun 29, 2010.

1. peoriacab

peoriacab New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you read my thread asking 'Can a Hymotion 123 System Be Removed" you learned of my frustration in trying to get a new system, installed by Smart Motors in Madison, Wisconsin, to work properly. As it turned out, it did not work at all. Smart Motors took great care of me. They trailered the car back 300 miles to Madison from Peoria, Illinois. They charged the system overnight and immediately the next day informed me that I was correct, the PHEV was not working. Hymotion authorized the install of a new kit that they tested extensively and fast shipped from the East coast. My L5 tested okay but it was replaced to be safe. What Smart Motors found out is that I had a weak 12 volt car battery and the Hymotion needs that battery to be in good working order for the Hymotion system to function properly. We all learned a good lesson. Smart says they will be replacing older 12 volt batteries any time they are doing a Hymotion install. Thank you all for your words of support, especially The Force. I am now seeing well over 100 mpg and I will be in Wisconsin for the Hybrid Fest with my 2004 dark red Prius. I am a very happy camper.:)

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am so glad to hear a happy ending to this story. Although I've never bought a car from Smart Motors, I have heard nothing but good things from everyone around me about them. All my dealing with them have been professional and customer-service oriented.

3. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius