1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V battery problem and dealer reaction

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cvstan, Sep 5, 2007.

1. cvstan

cvstan Junior Member

I have a 2007 Prius touring with 4900miles. Last December when the car was new I parked it with one interior light on for a week and killed the 12V battery. I am suspicious that permanent has been done. With difficulty I charged it up and it seemed to recover and all was well until I let the car sit for 10 days Aug. 20-29. The car would not boot up. I charged it again and all was well until I let it sit for two days. Dead again. The battery measures 8V and the "requires maintanence" light blinks. So this morning at the time of the 5k service I brought it in (after charging) and complained that the battery had died. When I picked up the car I was told there was nothing wrong with the battery and it was normal for it to go dead in a few days. I am supposed to use a trickle charger to keep the battery alive. How is anyone supposed to go on a trip and leave this car at the airport? I know I have left the car sitting for more than a week at a time without a problem. The service guy told me the next time it goes dead I should have it towed in for diagnosis. I don't want to have the car towed just so they can see the battery is dead! Any ideas? Is this behavior really normal?

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CVS @ Sep 5 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]507386[/snapback]</div>
    Stop in at a different dealer.

3. Spoid

Spoid New Member

On a regular vehicle, when I've had a bad battery, I've taken it to the local auto parts store, they hook it up to a machine and after a minute or two, it tells you if the battery is good or not. Since we're talking about a 12v battery (although smaller than normal) surely Toyota could do some sort of diagnostic on it.

I second the vote for trying another dealer.

4. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    for the dealer saying that 12v batteries goes dead in a few days is crap.

the 12 v battery on the prius isnt some small batt

5. jk450

jk450 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CVS @ Sep 5 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]507386[/snapback]</div>
    Replace the battery. It's too marginal to keep in service. Yes, I recommend a Toyota battery, even though it's more expensive.

As for diagnosis, it's surprising how few technicians - even good technicians - can accurately diagnose the condition of a 12V battery. The Prius complicates this, since the traditional load test specs are not given for this battery.

Toyota just obsoleted their existing battery testers in favor of a supposedly dummy-proof diagnostic charging station. However, it will probably be a while before many dealers pony up for this piece of equipment.

When you go to the airport, make sure all interior lights are OFF (including the one in the cargo area) and disable Smart Key if you have it. By the way, many of today's cars will drain their 12V battery after sittlng a week or two. Mercedes even sells a solar panel accessory for their cars, to minimize this problem.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The dealer is being a typical dealer and is full of it. You need to replace the 12V battery if it can't last more than a couple of days. It should be able to go for a couple of weeks (with the SKS) if nothing else is left on. Completely discharging the battery doesn't do it any good.

Tom

7. cvstan

cvstan Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 5 2007, 02:59 PM) [snapback]507437[/snapback]</div>
    More info: They claim a battery test was done and it passed (which is very possible). The battery is covered for 3 years/36k miles so I don't want to buy one on my own. From their POV they can't replace the battery until some test says its dead.

8. burns_fisher

burns_fisher Burns

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CVS @ Sep 5 2007, 03:59 PM) [snapback]507478[/snapback]</div>
    Oddly enough, I had a dead 12V battery on my Prius Classic. We parked it on the street for a 2 or 3 hour meeting, and when we came back, no boot. Luckily, I noticed that the power brake pump was running (poorly). I waited for the pump to build up pressure and stop, and then I was able to boot. Drove around for a while to charge the 12V, and never had the problem again, even leaving it for several weeks. It was the darndest thing.

Of course, yours seems to be getting worse and worse. Sounds like a replacement would make you a bit safer. (You know where the jump point is in the front under the hood, right?)

Burns

9. cvstan

cvstan Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Burns @ Sep 5 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]507596[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I had to read the manual to find it! The first time the battery died I had to crawl under the cargo cover to pop the rear hatch release to get to the battery. Very acrobatic! As you point out, its not necessary to do that. There is even a small sliding piece on the side of the fusebox that can be removed. Now you have access to the positive terminal without removing the fusebox cover.

10. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CVS @ Sep 5 2007, 09:54 PM) [snapback]507788[/snapback]</div>
    It could be a bad battery, but it could also be a pesky hard to find electrical problem that draws down a good battery. If you have 5,000 miles on the car, make them fix it.

11. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

My long lifetime experience is once you deep deplete the battery like that it becomes very sulphated and will never be the same. Leaving a small light on for a week is the best possible way to destroy a car battery. Not to mention it could damage the alternator. And like has happened to me leave you at the worst possible time. If it was me I would have just bit the bullet and bought a new battery...like an Optima. Good luck!

12. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my salvaged 05 prius had a deeply discharged 12 volt battery, in my past experiences you must give it a trickle charge for a long time in order for the battery to perform normally, i also had a 01 prius salvaged, the battery was deeply discharged ( over a period of 2 years ) i charged it up using 10 amp charging and it subsequently damaged the 12 volt battery ( it swell up and wouldnt hold any charge) so i had to replace it.

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drifty'sDad @ Sep 6 2007, 09:25 AM) [snapback]507891[/snapback]</div>
    You can take the battery through an equalization charge which will reduce the sulfate, but there is no way to replace the lead that is now on sitting on the bottom of the battery.

Tom

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the dealer stupid, or did you fail to tell the him how you killed the battery?

Stop trying to screw Toyota out of a new battery. You broke it, you pay for it.

15. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    we traveled for two weeks when our Prius was near new, and came back and the car started right up.

I'd buy a new battery, stop your whining and just do it! They're only a couple hundred bucks.

16. cvstan

cvstan Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 6 2007, 12:02 PM) [snapback]507950[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not trying to screw anyone out of anything. They didn't care what I did to the battery. It is covered under warrantee so if its bad they will replace it, if not they won't. I am willing to take my lumps for killing the battery and buy a new one if necessary. Just don't understand why they think its normal for it to die in two days and how it tested OK. This is a tough audience!

17. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CVS @ Sep 7 2007, 04:45 AM) [snapback]508466[/snapback]</div>
    Hey CVS,

I strongly disagree with the previous two posters. The battery is under warranty. It is NOT normal for the battery to lose charge in two days unless you have something (abnormal) draining it while it's parked. IMHO, you should go to a different dealer to verify whether the battery is defective. if so, it should certainly be replaced under the warranty. Good luck. :)

18. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CVS @ Sep 7 2007, 07:45 AM) [snapback]508466[/snapback]</div>
    The person that said something about an alternator is not allowed to say anything anymore. There is an inverter that charges up the 12V battery....No alternator on a prius gen 2.
    If you charged the battery after it was killed with a regular charger vs. a low current <2 amp charger then you have probably done long term damage to the battery. Purchase yourself an emergency jump start device. An inexpensive one sells at communist walmart for about $40-50. It is a quick backup and you don't need cables. Since the Prius only needs 30 amps to boot the computers to allow the traction battery to start the ICE this device will work great until the 12V batt either fails or gets better. Good luck on the latter.

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D Rock @ Sep 7 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]508755[/snapback]</div>
    The Toyota PDI specifically mentions the use of an automatic 10 amp battery charger. They do not recommend a 2 amp setting due to the length of time required to charge.

A good way to maintain the battery is to always keep it plugged into one of those automatic float/desulfator battery tenders. I have the VDC Electronics Battery Minder plugged into the FJ and the Prius, and at the hobby farm I keep the old truck and tractor plugged into Battery Minder's. They work as advertised.

I've attached the Toyota PDI regarding 12 vdc battery maintenance.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(statultra @ Sep 6 2007, 08:43 AM) [snapback]507894[/snapback]</div>
    A severely discharged 12 vdc battery - especially one left dead for 2 years - is probably beyond help. Once enough sulfate drops out, it will build up on the bottom of the battery case, then short out the cell. A desulfator will take care of minor sulfation on the plates, but cannot help the sulfate sediment at the bottom of the battery.

You're lucky the battery case only bulged. One thing that severely sulfated batteries and frozen batteries have in common: they can explode

Attached Files:

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    to summarize what others are saying:

1. leaving the light on for a week will indeed kill your 12v.

2. after doing this, it will never be the same.

3. 10 days of sitting should be ok for a battery that hadn't been run down before. but 10 days of sitting for a battery that already had been drained once- well it's no surprise it died.

i wouldn't expect to find any parasitic drain, given that it only discharges when left to sit for the instances listed- 1 week with a light on or 10 days after having been drained previously.

now if it couldn't hold a charge overnight or maybe 2 days, THAT is parasitic drain.

from the sound of it, you can either cope with this battery not being able to sit for more than a few days alone by starting it and letting the car run for maybe 1/2 hour every few days, or buy a new battery.