1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v Battery Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusNoob77, Dec 26, 2017.

1. PriusNoob77

PriusNoob77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two weeks ago my 2008 prius would not start (not the first time this has happened). This time when we tried to jump it, we got an error about it being abnormally parked. Apparently that's a pretty typical sign of a failing battery. We tried to get it replaced and at the suggestion of this forum we went with an Optima Yellowtop. However after we pulled the original battery, we found that the Optima was a couple of inches too long. No worries, we just took it back and tried to get another battery, however every battery we found that was in stock around town was too long to fit in our prius. Something seems off here and I really need help.

We found a battery outfitter nearby that claimed they've seen this before, but didn't have any in stock and have been on back order now for 2 weeks. Has anyone else ever had this problem before?

Our current battery (which I'm assuming is OEM) is 7wx5dx8h, but every battery we've been able to get our hands on is at least 9-10 inches long and there is no way we can get it to fit. Any advice?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like your car does not have SKS and takes the smaller 12 V battery. Easiest option is to get the SKS battery bracket ($25 from the dealer or cheaper from a dismantler/wreckers yard, if you can find the bracket there), then swap out the battery bracket. You will then be able to install the SKS-sized battery in your car with ease.

I have also heard of one guy who took to the non-SKS bracket with a hack-saw, and modified it to take the longer battery.

SFO and bisco like this.