1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Battery recommendation for 2011 Three

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ddanley, Dec 12, 2015.

1. ddanley

ddanley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello!

After 3.5 years / 33000 miles, I am having the first problem with my prius. Research indicates the 12V battery is going out.

I located the optima Yellowtop (46B24R) at my local autozone for 225 , which I can get on Amazon for 150.

I am looking for recommendations others have for this part.

Thanks,

ddanley

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would recommend the OEM Toyota 84 month battery at $220.

ddanley likes this.
  3. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the yellowtop; works flawless yet/

BION
    StarCaller

ddanley likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm partial to sticking with stock, but our local dealership (and another as well) was recently asking $273 (Canadian), so I ended up going with the Optima. So far so good. It's CCA is much higher than OEM, a plus.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    batteries plus stores have a duracell. are you sure your battery needs replacing? mine is also 3.5 years, 38,000 miles and reads 12.7 volts. did you drain it at all? have you tried charging it?

6. ddanley

ddanley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is the first time it died... The car shuts off the lights and turns itself off if you forget... I suspect it is failing...

I do have a charger with an AGM setting... I heard you should use the AGM setting at 2-4 amps to charge it. I am a little uneasy hooking anything electrical up to it :)

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Charger's AGM setting tend to be HIGHER voltage. To be cautious I wouldn't use that setting. The amp range you mention is good. Hook up at the under the hood jump point is fine. I've used a CTEK many times, no problems.

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Just got a new one for Pearl S. In my research, in Canadian pricing, I found:
    Dealer Toyota OEM part - $200 (special price due to body shop help). One year warranty.
    Optima - $240 delivered.
    Exide AGM with vent - $240 delivered.
    Canadian Tire AGM with vent (probably an Exide) - $180. Five year warranty. P/N 10-5122
    Taxes extra on all pricing.

I got the Canadian Tire one. At the till, I got a $20 gift certificate (Red Tag days). So it was $50 less than the OEM part. Vent elbow plugged right into the new one.
    I used that $40 ($20 back when you return your old batt. plus the gift certificate) to fund partially purchase of a "Genius" charger model 7200, which was also on sale. It cost me about $70 after the rebates.

I have used a 1.25A "Battery Tender" on the boost point when the car sits unused in winter. This never caused any problems. Just make sure you use a charger intended for connection long term to a car or motorcycle/ATV, not some cheap junk type. Both the "Battery Tender" and the "Genius" have been tested by my friends and I and work just fine.
    I suspect my car, when new, sat on the dealer lot for a few months, battery connected. It came from Vancouver Island (Courtney Toyota). I know I never abused it, and was surprised when it started to fail last summer. Adding water delayed the end, but I got the flu and the car sat for six days, and the battery died in that time.

I noticed, once home, that the Canadian Tire battery was made in January 2014, and had a "charge by December 2014" sticker on it. I don't think they did. I put about 20% capacity charge back into it before it was "fully charged". We'll see how it lasts. If I didn't have the five year warranty it would have gone back!

Fun with lead acid batteries! ;)

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the car does not turn off interior lights, or if you leave a door/hatch ajar. nor does it turn itself off, if you forget. it will stay on until it runs out of gas.

it is also possible that the dealer drained it during service, or while on the lot, pre sale.

#9 bisco, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    David, I just bought my first Motomaster battery from Canadian tire, for a Honda. The battery was an exact match to the Honda one we pulled out, and at CT they even tested CCA for me, with sweet meter.

All in all I was pleasantly surprised, these are convenient, reasonably priced batteries that are apparently just rebadged. They had Optimas too I noticed.

#10 Mendel Leisk, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  11. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I also replaced a failing OEM with with a Yellow top and it work very well. It is money well spent

ddanley likes this.
  12. PaulD

PaulD Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just put a Yellowtop in my 2010. Very easy to do. I ran jumper cables from my other car to the post under the hood and didn't lose any of my settings!