1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v Battery Replacement not working HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JonNeedsHelp, Mar 6, 2019.

1. JonNeedsHelp

JonNeedsHelp New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 12v battery died on me.
    It was going for awhile, I was able to jump start it until a week ago when I couldn't even do that.

I bought a new 12v battery and a friend replaced it for me but it still won't start, it just gives a clicking sound.

My friend tried to hook the tool that reads the computer and it showed no power.

Tried to jump it again and no luck.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should check the voltage of the "new" battery. If it's under 12v, you would have issues with it. A fully charged battery is usually 12.9v or higher.

Another possibility is if you keep jump starting the car, if you're not careful and reverse the polarity of the connections, that would blow a few fuses and the car won't start

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat !!

Did you check all of your connections, battery posts and ground strap to the body.

No corrosion?

Measure the voltage at the 12v battery, then again at the jump points under the hood (driver side).

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Recheck you battery connections and the ground cable where it attaches to the body then take the battery back to the dealer and have it checked. If you don't have a meter to read voltage buy one and learn how to use it, it will pay for itself the first time.

5. JonNeedsHelp

JonNeedsHelp New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh I think my brother did that! It was dark and he put the jumpers on the wrong end on the car I was trying to jump from.
    You think I should check the fuses?

6. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Search the forums --- if you are VERY lucky, fuses are the only thing damaged.....hope you are lucky.

Personally, I never am lucky and would never try to jump the Prius.

Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You must be getting tired of crawling in the back seat to open the back hatch.

If your jumping the car in the trunk it almost always ends badly and that's why Toyota put a convenient and safe jump point under the front hood. Its in the black plastic fuse box on the right in the engine bay. Inside that black plastic fuse box there's a red plastic cover that covers the 12 volt positive terminal. You hook the red jumper cable lead to that little vertical tang under the red plastic cover. The you hook the black jumper cable to any bolt head/chassis. I use the bolt head right above the black plastic box.

You blew some fuses or you blew up the inverter. A quite common scenario on this site.

Check all the fuses in the black plastic box in the engine bay and there's a fuse panel by your left knee under the dash when your sitting behind the wheel.

Pull all the fuses out one by one and check with an ohmmeter to see if there blown open.

#7 edthefox5, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the reason you didn’t get a new battery is money, then my suggestion is you get the bus schedule. A new inverter would add 4000 dollars to the bill. That’s on top of the 160 dollar Battery you already need.

9. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Plenty of used ones on the market. No reason to pay 4000 for a inverter.
    But hooking up jumper cables in the dark.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Skibob likes this.