1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Battery ?'s

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by s1njin, Jan 15, 2011.

1. s1njin

s1njin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys,

Just wondering about this battery - I've seen a bunch of threads about it failing. Is there anything special I'm supposed to do w/ this battery? Is it common for them to fail? Should I expect to have to have it replaced at some point?

Since its a battery, and not the hybrid drive battery, I'm assuming its not a warranty situation right?

2. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't overly worry about the 12v battery. As the guy above has said, they'll last 3 - 5 years which is in line with a normal car. However, if you ever run them completely flat they do seem more prone to damage and will cause weird happenings when faulty.

One other thing, if you're ever going to jump start the Prius be VERY careful about how you go about it. Refer to the owners manual about where to connect the leads etc or you could fry the computers which is an expensive mistake.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is not that the batteries are especially bad, it is that as owners we have no experience detecting dead batteries, except when they run a starter motor, and in the Prius the 12 volt battery doesn't.

We need new skills at detecting dead batteries, and we are slowly getting them.