1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Battery vent tube hole missing in body

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fred14, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Fred14

Fred14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2006 Prius, it does not have a battery vent tube but has a 2 year old Toyota battery with a hole for a tube. Normally simple take battery out and look for hole at base of battery by positive terminal. Question: I have not taken battery out yet but noticed a small hole in floor about 3 inches away from positive terminal and fender and surrounded by what could be remnents of something rubber. I dropped a long narrow philips head screw driver down the hole. It went down about 4-5 inches and hit some solld. Could this be the vent hole for the 12V battery exhaust? Is it an intake for something? Should I plug it?
    Fred

2. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you look at the picture below -- on the top left edge of the battery, you can see the black tube leading from the battery down to the vent hole.

Thank Mr. Hobbit for the photo. He has posted a wealth of Prius information on his site.

http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/prius-12V/584conns.jpg

I think the link above will give a better look, but maybe you can see it well enough below (if my copy and paste works):

[​IMG]

usnavystgc and Fred14 like this.
  3. Fred14

Fred14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Steve Great picture. Any idea what the yellow and white wire by the break pwr white box are for? I have a hole but there but nothing going through it. Fred Also how done one attach photos to a chat reply?

Steve
    How about the vent tube shown in this picture? From same web site. But he did not say anything about relocating it. Could there be two types of vent tubes?
    Fred
    [​IMG]

#3 Fred14, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2015
  4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Vent tube is in exactly the same place in bought of the pictures. In the second picture HV-battery vent tube and back up power supply are just removed.

5. Fred14

Fred14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, now my 2006 has a hole in the trunk floor in the same position as the second picture appears to show it venting through the floor. I do not have a vent tube but battery has a hole for one. I would like to add the vent tube back but want to put it in the proper place, I thought the vent tube went straight down the side of the battery and vented at the base of the battery through the floor, not up higher and to the side. Do some tubes go straight down and others off to the side as in the picture?
    Fred

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All tubes should be routed as the picture shows. This is the design that ensures any gasses are vented to the atmosphere and not inside the car.

7. Fred14

Fred14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank You One and All.
    Now I ill order a tube and install it properly.
    Again Thanks
    Fred

usnavystgc likes this.