1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v battery voltages

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by hankster, Sep 19, 2010.

1. hankster

hankster New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all, new Prius owner. Got my '07 a couple weeks ago. Have been reading and learning a lot here. All this let me find out that the noise coming from my CHS pump is not normal and that there is a TSB out for it. Before I head to the dealer I decided to check the battery voltages using the maintenance mode. Found the voltages are about .3v low in both unloaded and loaded state (12.1v unloaded - 11.7 loaded). Was wondering if there is some Toyota documentation that I can refer to when I take it in so I can show them that these voltages are low and that they should replace the battery under their 90 day B to B warranty? Thanks!

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    This is better moved to gen 2 forum.

The pump does make some noise so it may or may not be normal.

The 12V battery sounds a bit weak but a far way from dead so the dealer would probably say it is OK.

Good luck! :)

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I suggest checking them with a volt meter at the battery, the readings you see on the MFD may be off a little.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    According to the Toyota repair manual, acceptable battery voltage ranges from 11V to 14V (without specifying under what conditions the measurement should be taken) so that document is useless for your purposes.

5. hankster

hankster New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry for posting the wrong forum, thought I was in the Gen II forum. Thanks for the info, guess I'll bring up the voltages to the dealer and see what they say. The pump is squealing and I didn't hear that on the other ones I drove so I am guessing it is not usual.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Be sure to let us know what the dealer says. BTW welcome to PC.