1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V charging

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by klsound, Jun 29, 2006.

1. klsound

klsound New Member

How do you charge your cell or any other equipment when the car is off. The 12v plugs arn't hot unless the car is on or in accessory mode. Is there a way around this.

Thanks

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, there's a very easy work-around to make that outlet 'hot'. Just be aware that the 12v battery is not very large and you can drain it quickly. I don't think a single cell phone would do that overnight, but anything bigger that puts a continuous drain certainly could cause you some problems.

Go to http://www.coastaletech.com Look at the 2005+ Prius area for thier 12v adapter area. You can buy the parts you need at Radio Shack for a few bucks and just use their instructions or they'll send you a pre-made kit with all you need for about $10. I wasn't able to access their site right now to give you the direct link.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  4. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got a lighter adapter with alligator clips to hook onto the battery in the rear compartment. It's always on and gives me an outlet in the rear hatch to boot. You can buy them at an auto parts store, maybe wal-mart, theyre cheap, like $5.

5. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    coastaletech.com also has a mod for having the outlets in front always on.

Edit--Oops!!! For some reason, I didn't see the other posts talking about coastaletech before I replied--I guess I forgot to scroll....

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ko_prius @ Jun 29 2006, 10:51 AM) [snapback]278679[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm...I hadn't checked this, but I am VERY surprised by it. Very often (and since I haven't had the car for 2 months yet, and with less than 500 miles on the odo, I think this can still qualify for a Very Often status), I have found a need for a hot plug--charging phone, pda, using some accessory or other...all that stuff that we all need to do at some time or another when it just isn't convenient to have the car turned on at all). I have not seen any other new, or even new-ish cars that do not have the plugs hot all the time. Why is this? I HATE having to do workarounds! My husband had to do the turn-off-backup-beep-bebop because there were too many steps for me to follow... :blink:

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  8. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 30 2006, 11:11 PM) [snapback]279564[/snapback]</div>
    ddd...I am incredibly in awe of all the cool stuff you do...but can't you, just once, make something look EASY for the technologically challenged amongst us???? :blink: I look at your fantastic pix and instantly go crosseyed... I am of the PhD camera crowd--Press Here Dummy...:huh: