1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V cig lighter socket

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by yoyoman, Apr 5, 2006.

1. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was using a small tire pressure pump pluged into my cig lighter socket to pump my tire. During pumping the 4th tire, the pump suddently stopped. I checked the voltage from the cig lighter socket and it's amost 0V. Did I fried any fuse? I have checked and everything is functioning so far. By the way, I have cheked the cig lighter socket inside the console is working. I have checked all the fuses in the engine hood and all fused are good. Is there another fuse box??

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yoyoman @ Apr 5 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]235687[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like you just popped the fuse that's under the dash. Look up from the floor just to the left of the steering wheel, and you'll find the interior fuse block, with the items labeled. The wires to that 12V outlet are pretty skinny, and a compressor may be a bit much!

Here it is: [​IMG]

3. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes. you are right. I should have read the manual before posting this message. It's the fuse #29 (15Amp). Replaced and it's good now.. I was so affraid that I though I have screwed up bigtime.

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yoyoman @ Apr 5 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]235709[/snapback]</div>
    No, no. That's MY job. ;)

Wow. 15A. That's huge for the size of the wires that go to the socket. I'd think 10A was pretty generous. Anyway... stop using that compressor in that outlet. :)

5. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 5 2006, 09:52 PM) [snapback]235726[/snapback]</div>
    I vaguely recall that somebody tested the available voltage on the outlets when the vehicle was in Ig-On and when it was in Ready. The 12v outlets put out about 11v when in Ig-on and closer to 14 v when in Ready.

Where you running this compressor when the vehicle was in Ready or Ig-on? I'm curious more than anything else.

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeromep @ Apr 5 2006, 09:59 PM) [snapback]235728[/snapback]</div>
    I just measured 12.8V and 14.1V respectively ("rest" measurement will depend on how long the car has been sitting). Measured with my FLUKE, so should be quite accurate. I'd be concerned if we were seeing 11V at rest. Should be 12V or better without the inverter on.

Of course I also popped the fuse while testing (stupid long probes that are handy for OTHER projects just burned me!) I hope these little tiny fuses are available somewhere other than the Toyota dealer. Every car I but, the fuses get smaller. :) Why don't we have micro breakers in cars yet?

The silver lining here is that now I know my wiring and connections for my additional always-hot 12V outlet are safely protected by a 15A fuse. (hey, I'm not always an optimist, so this is a breakthrough).

7. snowman83

snowman83 New Member

This happened to me on one of our previous cars. Those compressors that use the cigarette lighter outlets have a tendency to pop the fuse eventually (usually sooner rather than later). I'd advocate investing in a larger compessor (albeit somewhat more expensive, though certainly not prohibitively) that you can charge with your regular household outlets - they tend to hold their charges well enough to do the job. Very happy not having to seek out one of the few (and ever rarer) service stations that don't charge for air!

8. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snowman83 @ Apr 6 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]235983[/snapback]</div>
    Or get a REAL compressor. You won't believe how often you use it once you have one! That said, I have three compressors here (for plasma cutter, nail guns, other air tools, general cleaning) and yet I still use my manual floor pump to pump the tires on the bicycles and car. Never needs to be charged or plugged in, totally portable, and a great workout. Can be puchased for $20, but I recommend getting a good one for about $80 so you'll enjoy it more, and not write me hate mail.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 6 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]235984[/snapback]</div>
    My father has one and I use that most of the time to do my tires. I have a tiny compressor that was bought for my last car. I rarely use it these days (although I did use it 2 weeks ago), but I have the Prius in "Ready" when I do use it.

10. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeromep @ Apr 6 2006, 12:59 AM) [snapback]235728[/snapback]</div>

Yes. basically I have my car running by pressing the power button. Everything is running even the navigation system. Start pumping my low pressure tires to 42/40 and suddently popped the fuse.

I think I have a defective pump. When I tried to use the same pump to pump my Honda Accord's tire, the same compressor is not running at all. Maybe it's stuck in the pump.

11. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

My favorite pump, now obsolete with today's almost unreachable engines and their computer control, was called "Enginair" and it used the pressure from a valve you screwed into one of your spark plug holes in the cylinder head. Start your engine (and listen to it run rather rough!) and watch your tire pump up very quickly. I don't think I'll try it on a Prius...

[​IMG]