1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V died/replaced, wont start, dealer says "bad gas"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by amattess, Oct 27, 2009.

1. amattess

amattess New Member

2007 23k mi no prior mechanical problems. driven mostly on weekends for several hours but left all week w/o use.

We accidentally left the hatchback ajar without use for one week. When attempting to start it nothing would light up, car would not start.
    Garage attendant attempted to jump it. Used the manual as they couldn’t find jump connectors at first so pretty sure they didn't reverse polarity. At first car would still not start and no dash lights would illuminate.
    After leaving jumper cables on the car for about 10 min the Parking light came on (green). After another 10 the ready light came on (green). On second press of Power, car would still not start, ready light turned amber and whirring sound could be heard from hood and pressure on break pedal could be felt.
    Battery was removed and brought to AutoZone for test and recharge. Battery could not be recharged. New battery purchased from Toyota dealer and installed by me.
    Ready light came on, but again on second press of Power car would still not start, ready light turned amber and check engine light illuminated. Some hydraulic pump started (could hear whirring sound from hood) and pressure on break pedal could be felt.

I had it towed to my dealer and they came back with some answers that just dont make sense. They said that draining the battery ruined the fuse box and we need to replace it. They also said that "bad gas" (they cant say exactly what bad gas is) ruined the tank and it needs to be replaced. Total cost $1530-

I think its just BS and they dont know whats wrong or it just needed some simple reset and they're trying to bilk me. I drove the car for 45min to 1 hr after the last fill up and didnt have any problems. And if the fuse box was ruined wouldnt none or only selective electrics not work?

Any thoughts? Ideas? things I should challenge them on besides what I've already stated? All suggestions appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The main relay/fuse box located adjacent to the inverter also contains a 5" long white plastic box. That box contains several fusible links. If a link has blown then the box has to be replaced.

Why would a link blow? Most likely someone reversed polarity of the jump cables. The DC to DC converter within the inverter is not protected against reverse polarity. If the jump cables are reversed then the 100A DC/DC fusible link might blow. I'm concerned that your inverter might be toast but your dealer's tech hasn't yet figured that out.

Most electronics are protected against reverse polarity. The DOME fuse may also have blown.

What about bad gas? Since you say that you drove the car for an hour after the last fillup, I agree that is unlikely.

Does the car need a simple reset? No, because when you removed the old battery and installed the new one, that was the functional equivalent of resetting most ECUs, with power off and then restored.

What to do? I recommend that you authorize the fusible link assembly to be replaced, then see what diagnostic trouble codes the car logs once 12V power is restored. Don't be surprised if the inverter needs to be replaced, and if so that will be a four-digit repair bill. Good luck.

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Maybe before authorizing the replacement the owner could check the white box to confirm blown link(s). Is this easy to do?

4. itradegreen

itradegreen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree the bad gas thing is baloney. I am having some of your same problem, and my ice will not start and my ready light goes on for a few seconds and turns off. I have replaced the battery and now would like to remove the fuze box to see why?:(

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (This is another sad reminder of the danger of letting a random person jump a Prius.)

What Patrick wrote. If the dealer keeps giving you the "bad gas" nonsense go to another dealer. After you finally get it working again, train yourself to *always* lock the car no matter where you park; a long warning beep will catch most of the common battery-draining situations.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [!@#$%^& duplicate post]

7. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

Not sure why there needs to be a "second press" of the power button, as described in both attempts. Isn't it one press with foot on brake? It is hard to tell about the dealer, but the diagnosis sounds very fishy. It is a sad state of affairs if they are just lying to make a work order. I have had dealers ask what brand of gas, and whatever is said, that's the wrong kind.