1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v plug

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by agile pagile, Apr 19, 2005.

1. agile pagile

agile pagile New Member

just bought a 400 watt inverter from Wal-Mart. what's the worst that could happen if i plug something into the inverter that shouldn't be plugged in. what i mean is, will i blow a fuse or fry anything or what? thanks in advance. :cry:

2. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(agile pagile\";p=\"82597)</div>
    I don't have my manual with me to see the fuse rating for the Aux 12 Volt. But take the 400 watts and divide it by 12 volts and that gives 33 1/3 amps. That is assuming 100% efficiency in the inverter. 45-50 Amps is probably more realistic. The actual draw may be less depending on the acutal load, but to be safe you need to assume the full 400Watt load.

I doubt that the fuse has that high a rating.

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 400-watt inverter should have a fuse in it that you will blow first. Worse case you will blow the fuse in the car (easily replaced). I would recommend you take it back and get the Monster Inverters. It comes with everything to install in the car (in line conditioner, fuse, and high guage power cable to run to the battery). I got it mainly because the fuse is easily accessed on the unit and it was the only inverter that cleaned the power. It also had Amp-like hook-ups that told it when the car was turned off to prevent it from draining your battery.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

depends on where you hook it up; which side of the 100A fusable link. If you hook it up to the DC/DC converter side, then it is possible you could overdraw from the DC/DC converter. If you hook it up to the battery/load side, then the link will protect the DC/DC converter.

Best approach would be to connect to the battery directly, or as close as possible.