1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Socket in Rear Hatch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by zenMachine, Jun 13, 2007.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm thinking of adding an always-on 12V socket to the hatch area to use on camping trips etc.
    Since the battery is already in the back, I thought this should be fairly easy to do.

Has anyone done anything like this?
    Any help/pointers would be appreciated.

2. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The existing 12v battery is very small. It goes dead very easily.

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Jun 13 2007, 05:00 PM) [snapback]461152[/snapback]</div>
    Understand.

The idea is to use this when the car is ON so that the ICE can kick to recharge as needed.
    It's intended for occasional use when parked, or to plug in a cooler/warmer when on the road.
    My SUV has such a rear plug and it's quite useful. I really miss it in the Prius.

But if accidental draining of the battery is a concern, another option is to wire it so that it's hot
    only in ACC mode.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jun 13 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]461143[/snapback]</div>
    I've done it plenty. Though not in the back of the Prius. Bolt it to the battery with a small fuse, and you're good to go.

5. Paul Gregory

Paul Gregory Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    My 2024 Prius Prime 12V battery goes dead every 2 days due to parasitic drain. I would like to connect my Energizer Arc 12 portable power supply with a 12V socket to the car's 12V battery. Can I do it through the 12V socket in the rear of the car, or is some other way required?

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're posting in a Gen 2 thread and the Gen 2 does not have a rear 12 V socket as standard in the rear. With that being said, If the 12 V socket in a 2024 PP is always live, then you should be fine. If, however, it is not live when the car is off and you would want to do activities requiring power while the car is off, then some other way would be required. You could use the solution as detailed in this thread, for example.

Before drawing power off the 12 V battery while the car is off, I'd be chasing down the reason for it regularly going flat. It could be as simple as replacing the 12 V battery, A simple test would show you if that is the answer. If you want to know more about testing it, post a question in one of the Prius Prime Forums. I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies there.

#6 dolj, Apr 10, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2024