1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V system dies after turning car off. at random urgent 900 miles from home)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by terramir, Aug 21, 2017.

1. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi folks,
    well I got to Madras last night (yes the totality was amazing!!!) shut off my car and in the morning my 12V system was dead. I was pretty sure my battery wasn't dead, and I was right.
    Here's the mystery, I opened the hatch from the inside with the fishing line, I wired into the emergency open thing and when I got to the back of the car even before I I could mess with the battery cable the car turned on. this happened twice of the like 6 times. the other four times I just barley touch the small cable plugged into the 12V fuse terminal on the battery and the car turns back on.
    ( I mean with turn on the open door light and well the alarm flashing) then I can start the car no problem and it's perfectly fine till I turn off the car.
    anybody have any idea what could be causing this, I took the small 12v + in and out and I dun think that is it perse, it seems stanger than that.
    Help I really don't want to leave town with this unresolved, but I gotta get back to LA.

terramir
    PS this is a brand new bosch battery and it's not the battery it's not being drained!!!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    obviously there's a loose connection if you can touch the cable and you get power. Make sure all the connectors (white) are pushed and locked into place at the 12v.

3. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I already replugged them I can't vouch for the 12V small one being intact inside the connector. but the large one definetly is firm inside the connector I dun dare pull on the small one in case it tears out I can't fix that here.
    btw what is the small positive wire for??????

4. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found out something, it seems like the entire positive is loose on the 12V bosch terminal and it seems like it's a little deformed I think I'm gonna have to create a metal sleeve to fix this permanently. well wish me luck getting home. maybe I could use some aluminum foil folded multiple times for a jury rigged fix unless I could find something else I might have to hit the dollar tree and see if I can find a clamp I can destroy I might be able to use this as a shim for now.
    terramir

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you sure the battery post isn't loose in the battery?