1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Tire Pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jimklausner, Mar 6, 2007.

1. jimklausner

jimklausner Connecticut Yankee

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If anyone has experience with portable, 12V tire pumps that can be operated from power outlet in automobiles, I would appreciate your sharing your experience with me. I want to purchase a 12V tire inflator that I can carry in my Prius, especially to use in case the compact spare is soft and I am not convenient to my garage compressor or near a service station.

2. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ConnecticutYankee @ Mar 6 2007, 07:07 PM) [snapback]400980[/snapback]</div>
    I have one by Michelin, but I don't know if it's availlable over there. It works great, It has a built-in digital tire pressure gauge. According to a test I read, The Michelin was the only one with an acceptable precission and performance. I allways have it in the compartment under the floor of the back and use it every 3-4 weeks to check/correct tire pressure.

3. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Costco has a pretty good one for $50., but has alligator clips. You could put a outlet adaptor on it if you want to go that way.

4. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ConnecticutYankee,

There are a bunch of them out there. You should be able to get on that runs off 12 volts for around $10. Try Wally world if all else fails. These things work good at helping to maintain your tire pressure too. Lot better than trying to find a coin operated machine.

I personally have a portable power pack. 12 volt power supply with a compressor inside the housing. Got it for $20 at Menards when on sale. The advantage is that you do not have to worry about the wires when airing up the tire. Plus, you can jump start people with this. Not sure I would even want to try jump starting someone with the PRIUS seal lead acid battery.

Hope this helps.

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy ConnecticutYankee

I do have experience. I bought a professional analog tire gauge and a 12v portable compressor both of which I keep in the driver's side storage bin in the cargo area. I use the compressor to maintain my selected tire pressures and had found the inexpensive "pencil" pressure gauges inaccurate. I bought the gauge from Racer Parts Wholesale {online} and the compressor at a local WallMart. As I recall, the gauge cost about $30 and the compressor about $20. They both date back to my 2004, traded for my 2007 touring Edition.

I found it both inaccurate and uncomfortable {like on your knees on the drive, especially on a wet day} to try to use the 25¢/5-min. Service Station compressors - usually required 2 or 3 quarters to service all 4 tires. If you order a pressure gauge, be sure to get one with 60#s or greater capacity to allow for the Prius spare.

Here they are:

[attachmentid=6806]
    [attachmentid=6807]

Attached Files:

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hard_working_student @ Mar 6 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]401013[/snapback]</div>
    I have no experience trying to jump start a car with a Prius and intend to keep it that way. I read that hooking up a Prius to another car just provides a trickle charge. It would take a couple of hours before the other car could be started. I carry a portable power supply with an inverter that I bought at Pep Boys. It has an air pump, jumper cables, and a light. It can be recharged from house current aux power in the car.