1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v Vent Tube won't fit new Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CharlesPrius, May 20, 2024.

1. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    12v was dying, so I bought another replacement 12v AGM battery (Everstart S46B24) and installed it (2nd time I've done this). No problem, confirmed fit & the battery works great, but the Toyota vent tube is too large to fit into the vent hole (it does look like this one is vented, though I've heard some aren't). To be honest I didn't even bother hooking up the vent tube the last time I replaced the 12v AGM 5 or 6 years ago -- the vent hole for that one was next to the Negative side (??) so I'd have had to turn the battery around etc. I'm sure I researched before doing that, but that was so long ago I honestly don't remember lol...... Is there some adapter I can buy to make it fit?

IMG_4148.jpg IMG_4149.jpg

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’d determine what the discrepancy is first: check the OD of the vent tube elbow connection, and the ID of the hole on the battery.

A caliper is good for the former, and maybe for the latter, though could prove awkward to get in there, and be accurate. if you’ve got a drill bit set the bits could be employed too.

then too, if the hole ID proves to be close, maybe just drill it out. You want to keep it close, so that the knurls on the elbow are slightly interference fit, if possible.

CharlesPrius likes this.
  3. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I looked at the vent elbow fitting that is in my 2011 Prius. It looks a little different than your picture.
    12V battery vent tube.jpg Vent elbow.jpg

#3 Brian1954, May 21, 2024
    Last edited: May 21, 2024
    Mendel Leisk likes this.