1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Wire To Tap Into For Accessories?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MrSteveB, Apr 13, 2015.

1. MrSteveB

MrSteveB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey, I'm looking for a 12 V wire somewhere under the dash that I can tap into for a Sirius Car Kit, and also a permanent mount for my radar detector. typically I'd just tap the 12V cigarette lighter but if I'm running 2 accessories off that behind the scenes and then plug in a 2 way splitter and plug in 2 more things I just feel that 4 accessories running off the same wire is cause for many blown fuses. I know I could just put a large fuse in there but I'd rather just play it safe. Anyone know where another 12V wire is hiding? Thanks

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

It all depends on how much current your various accessories draw, and what that adds up to. Have you looked up that information and done the addition? What do you get? If you're within the capacity of that circuit, no worries.

I'm glad you'd rather. Increasing the size of the fuse is never a (sane) option. Toyota knows the heat-withstanding ability of the wires they used, and that's how they chose the fuse they chose.

It is always a sane option to study your car's wiring diagram on techinfo.toyota.com and find where the ACC-switched circuits are sourced from, and what additional capacity might be available on them and where you could tap in. The book shows all the wire color codes and routing and the locations of all the switches, relays, fuses, and other connectors. If you tap in at a major power distribution point, of course you'll want to add a fuse of your own sized appropriately for the wire you are adding.

It's possible that the circuit to the power outlet is the only one they built with very much excess capacity, and the other ACC-switched circuits are sized pretty closely to the built-in stuff that runs on them.

It is also always a sane option to take your new circuit straight off (almost) the 12 V battery, which is easily accessible inside the car, using a relay of some sort to turn your circuit on in the conditions you want. A very similar question was asked just recently, so more ideas can be found there.

-Chap

3. JJsCarAudio101

JJsCarAudio101 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would suggest using the cig lighter wire as a signal to turn on a relay. This way you don't blow a fuse.