1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12Volt Battery and its capability

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wb9tyj, Jul 30, 2005.

1. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Does anyone know if the 12v Cig Plug can handle 6 Amps for an extended period of time ( An Electric Cooler)...as we drive...Does the 12v battery continue to charge as we drive or are we just draining it down ...of course we would unplug it when we power down for the night... :wave:

2. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Been using a thermoelectric cooler all summer. Mine has 2 modules, so draws more like 8 amps. No problem.

Will be installing a real fridge to cut the current but that is only so I can run it when stopped, and on an aux battery I will install.

Since the outlet switches off the 12 volt battery never has to supply the power. It comes from the HV battery through the dc to dc converter.

If you rewire for outlet always on, then the capacity of the 12 v battery would become a problem and that is why I'm adding a bigger battery.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The 2 outlets are individually fused at 15A, but the ratings on the sticker says 120W, which is 10A.

The DC-DC converter probably puts out 80A nominal, and is fused at 100A. Only in READY is the DC-DC converter charging the aux battery and providing 12V for the rest of the car. In ACC or Ig-On, its only the aux battery that is providing power, at about 38AH