1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

13.5 Watt Par30 25K hour Dimmable LED

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by hill, May 15, 2011.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    WOW! Costco finally got it right. SIX CREE LED's bundled into a nice wide angled 650 lumen, warm, instant on (even in freezing temps), 38 degree wide beem - PAR30:

[​IMG]

Ok, so at $30 bucks, they'e a tad pricey ... but if you do the math against a comparably bright, and dimmable CFL, you come out ahead with the LED. I KNEW this day would finally get here. With all our can lights, by the time the existing R30 clf's burn out, and we switch over to thes bad boys - we'll either have extra EV miles to burn, or be getting an additional $150 back in surplus PV generation. There's also a bigger 7 LED-75 watt brightness equivalent can light - and Costco carries both.

1 person likes this.
  2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lumens? nevermind. thanks.

3. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got that same bulb @ Lowe's last year for at least $15 more. I know it's PAR 30 but not sure if it's the 75 watt one or not. Either way, the Costco price is VERY good compared to what I've seen. Heck, the smaller, 5W LED PAR15(?) that I have in my smaller cans were $25 at Home Depot/Lowe's.

It even beats eBay pricing, and probably quality, too. I put this particular bulb above my front steps in a can as part of my landscape lighting. It's the non-dimmable version, though, but so far no issues with it and definitely works well.

You can't really beat the dimmable LEDs compared to dimmable CFLs. The only thing to be careful with is too many dimmers on the same circuit. I got buzzing out the wazoo when I did that, so I just took some to regular toggle switches.

For those interested, Home Depot sells a PAR30, CREE LED that comes WITH the can cover thing (can't think of the right term for it) all as part of one unit. Looks very nice, but also around $45-50, too.

I figure if I got 6 years from some of my CFL bulbs, if these LED ones last even half their rated life, then I should get at least 10 years from them due to the fact I don't turn lights on very much.

Good find, thanks for letting us know!

Corwyn - he stated 650 lumens :)

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This post to be read with the tune "The Caisson Song" running in your head, new lyrics time!!

Over Hill over dale as we hit the dusty trail,
    it's off to Costco we go!
    It's hi hi hee for the Cree LED's
    Illuminate the room for one and all....
    Nerver mind the fact, at 30 bucks a pak
    It's a good deal for one and for all!

:rockon:

5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    can't wait when they get strong enough to put in headlights :)

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    cyclopathic, they do. They're in some lexus models, some Prius models, and in the Leaf . . . . probably others now too. BTW, I really like the warm/white color of these LED's (3000 kelvin).

7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I meant as a replacement bulb, not OEM designed headlight.. So far the ones offered as a drop in are ~35w in light output, good for fog/driving lights.