1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

13 shutdown cases reported for Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Areometer, May 16, 2005.

1. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Monday, May 16, 2005 at 15:23 JST
    NEW YORK — The U.S. National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has received 13 complaints about shutdowns of Toyota Motor Corp's hybrid car Prius during high-speed driving, the Wall Street Journal reported Sunday.

One complaint involved a Prius shutting down while the car was traveling at 96 kilometers per hour. Another car owner complained that his daughter's "life was in danger" when the Prius she was driving in fast traffic shut down and police had to divert other cars around the stalled vehicle. (Kyodo News)

>> Original Link

Also:

Prius hybrids dogged by software
    Report: Internal computer woes reportedly cause autos to stall or shut down at highway speeds.
    May 16, 2005: 9:23 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - A software problem is causing some Toyota Prius gas-electric hybrid cars to stall or shut down while driving at highway speeds, according to a published report.

The Wall Street Journal reports that the problem involves Priuses from the 2004 model year and some early 2005 models.

The newspaper reports the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has logged 13 reports of the engine shutdowns, while Edmunds.com, a popular vehicle-information and shopping site, has had 13 individuals post complaints in a Prius forum. Some of the cars that shut down had to be towed to the shop before they could be restarted.

The newspaper quotes an official from Toyota as saying the stalling problem is due to a software glitch in its sophisticated computer system.

The car has both a gasoline engine and an electric motor, which is set to provide it with power during certain driving conditions, particularly in city driving. The gasoline engine is supposed to be shut down or run at a very low level when the car is driving slowly or idling but provide most of the car's power when it is cruising at highway speeds.

The report said no injuries or fatalities have been linked to the problem, but it did not say whether there had been accidents due to the problem.

A NHTSA spokesman said the agency is monitoring the complaints, but no formal investigation has been initiated.

Toyota spokesman Sam Butto told the newspaper the auto manufacturer identified a "programming error" in the computer systems of 23,900 Prius cars last year and sent owners a service notice advising them to bring the cars into dealers for an hour-long software upgrade.

He couldn't say how many Prius owners got the upgrade and whether the latest problems involve buyers who never got the upgrade or if an altogether different glitch is shutting the car down.

>> Original Article @ WSJ

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wish that upgraded-or-not question had been answered in the article. I have had all the recalls I'm supposed to have done, and I'm hoping my car doesn't 'glitch' on me...

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree, it would be VERY interesting to see if the cars involved had the programming upgrade or not. Mine's got 36,000 with no problems so I'm gonna stick with my thought and Kyle's opinion"If it ain't broke don't fix it".

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If Toyota makes a recall for the TSB I'll have it done; if not I'll wait.

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My dealer told me that they get service bulletins, etc, tagged to VIN numbers; when my car comes in, the VIN is entered into the computer and any relevant service bulletin pops up. The dealer's computer also logs any work already done on my car. I'm sure this is standard practice at Toyota dealers and is probably the only way to make sure glitches are tagged and repaired. It's also a good arguement for not taking a Prius to your corner mechnanic who might not have access to the Toyota database.
    If you wonder whether your car is included in some batch of Prii needing service done, you can ask your dealer. I think a lot of us can get riled up unnecessarily by rumors and anecdotal accounts of problems.
    B

6. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got a '05 Prius back in November and I suspected that I am qualified for a free DVD nav. software update even though I received absolutely no notification mail from Toyota. So I asked my dealership in person and after punching in my VIN# onto his system, he verified that I am indeed qualified for an update. He ordered a new DVD for me right away. My point is, sometimes, they will not notify you unless you bring it up to their attention.

7. coloradospringsprius

(Warning: Sarcasm alert!)

Gee, it's heartening to see the WSJ taking such an earnest and sincere interest in the public good, and not merely grasping desperately for an opportunity to cast doubt on a successful new technology that conserves energy, something with which the Journal's editorial board philosophically disapproves. (See "Conservation Wastes Energy" at:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/k...el/?id=95000484

Abstract: It is wrong to have a higher standard of living without spending more for it.)

The Journal was not always so public-minded. I recall an editorial from the late 1990s in which they chastized the British government for overreacting to Mad Cow disease, since, at that time, only 30 people had actually DIED of nvCJD. The cost to the British beef industry, you see, was unacceptably high.

8. bookrats

bookrats New Member

We had a small (very small) handful of reports on PriusChat about this.

However, I believe they've dried up over the last six months. I assumed it was associated with the rare "all lights go on and shutdown" problem, that was fixed by a TSB in 2004.

9. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey,
    i just started another thread dealing with a similar problem.
    I thought that Iran out of gas, the whole Christmas tree lit up and the ICE would not run. HV was not affected though. I have a February 05. Is this the same problem? I had two bars of fuel remaining when the "shutdown" occurred. It really wasn't a shutdown though because the computer kept working just the ICE quit.

10. lcdJunky

lcdJunky New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for keeping a level head Bob, but I must admit this report does spook me a bit. I think I will contact my dealer because I don't know how methodical their process for informing owners is.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen\";p=\"89917)</div>

11. Orsino

Orsino New Member

Hmm. My baby's in the shop today for its 5,000-mile check-up. Sounds as though there's already a fix out there, and that if mine wasn't already equipped (purchased in February), it'll get an upgrade today?

I must ask the shop.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

> The newspaper reports the National Highway Transportation Safety
    > Administration has logged 13 reports of the engine shutdowns

I searched the NHTSA reports myself. I actually found 14 reports; however, 3 of them were duplicate entries. So there were really only 11 vehicles reporting that "VEHICLE LOST POWER" problem.

Reading through the details available, you wonder if SSC-40A (Electronic-Control-Unit Reprogramming) and LSC-40E (Engine Compartment Seal) had been done. They are required updates that some owners may not have been aware of... unfortunately. In other words, a preventative fix was possibly already available for some (or all) of them.

The following are summaries of all the NHTSA reports and links so you can read through the details yourself:

• fuel gauge (November 29, 2004)
    • highway stability (April 1, 2005)
    • crosswinds & tires (March 19, 2005)
    • VEHICLE LOST POWER (April 19, 2005)
    • brake problem (April 12, 2005)
    • back seatbelt (December 30, 2003)
    • navigation accuracy (December 10, 2003)
    • cruise-control (December 15, 2003)
    • brake problem (May 2, 2004)
    • tire traction (May 9, 2004)
    • VEHICLE LOST POWER (June 16, 2004)
    • VEHICLE LOST POWER (July 18, 2004)
    • tire wear (September 23, 2004)
    • brake light assembly (August 10, 2004)
    • back seatbelt (October 15, 2004)
    • VEHICLE LOST POWER (October 29, 2004)
    • * duplicate entry, same vehicle (October 29, 2004)
    • * duplicate entry, same vehicle (October 29, 2004)
    • brake fluid (November 23, 2004)
    • tire blowout (November 22, 2004)
    • accelerator stuck (October 12, 2004)
    • air bags (December 28, 2004)
    • * duplicate entry, same vehicle (December 28, 2004)
    • fuel guage (January 1, 2005)
    • backseat latch (February 4, 2005)
    • VEHICLE LOST POWER (February 24, 2005)
    • VEHICLE LOST POWER (November 1, 2004)
    • VEHICLE LOST POWER (March 30, 2005)
    • * duplicate entry, same vehicle (March 30, 2005)
    • VEHICLE LOST POWER (April 17, 2005)
    • VEHICLE LOST POWER (April 20, 2005)
    • VEHICLE LOST POWER (May 2, 2005)
    • VEHICLE LOST POWER (May 7, 2005)

13. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for reviewing the NHTSA reports, John. I was suspecting that the articles were describing the problem fixed by SSC-40A, but I wasn't sure and your review helps put me at ease.

I am a still a bit confused, however. I thought SSC-40A occurred in early 2004. Aren't all Prius bought after SSC-40A suppose to have the SSC-40A programming already? In that case, how is it possible that any 2005 Prius and at the later half-year of 2004 Prius have this problem?

Also, similar logic for LSC-40E.

14. tmv123

tmv123 New Member

The 2004-05 Prius are 2008 compliant. When you have your car scoped by your local repair shop, (Not Toyota service) They aren't equipped for that 2008 compliance. Only a few Lexus vehicles, and the 04-05 Pris have the 08 compliance. The computer upgrade was actually a downgrade with a few variables of upgrade. That's why it takes about an hour for this "up/downgrade" procedure in both the 04, and o5 Pris.

15. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Does anybody have a link to the website that lists all the Toyota TSB's?
    I was there once. It costs like $10 for a years access. I would like to check them all out.

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think the access is a bit shorter than a year... isnt it about $10 a DAY

17. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I figure I can download everything in a day, I just need the link! Or a link to a database that has all the TSB'S!!!

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    a vehicle losing power at freeway speeds is hardly news. it has happened to two people that i personally know of, one driving a caravan and another driving a chevy S-10 pickup. in both of the above cases, the cause of the shutdown was never positively identified. the caravan was in the shop 4 times with repair bills (it was new and under warantee but prices could still be seen on his copy) totalling over $15,000. he eventually got his money back (after 14 months) under the state lemon law.

19. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  20. ALoLA

ALoLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wonder if any of those incidents involved unauthorized "modifications" to the electrical system/wiring?