1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1300 Miles (2119km) per Tank!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ken1784, Jun 6, 2005.

1. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, wonder how he did that..
    if there is a cash prize for highest mpg, I'd rent a tow truck and drive my prius down a mountain, haul it uphill, etc; repeating this process could go on forever, dont you think..?

3. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

An average of 82 mpg? Sorry, I'm not buying this regardless of the photo.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, it's 85.85mpg.

But but, how come they get a bigger fuel tank?

5. SanZan

SanZan Junior Member

There's a hardcore group of enthusiasts on "Prius Mania", the Japanese equivalent of Prius Chat. This guy is one of them. The "White EPV2" guy is on his second hybrid, the first being an Estima people carrier/MPV.

The guys on there have got various techniques for improving fuel consumption, one of which involves aiming for an "inbetween" undisplayed state for the power monitor. I haven't got our Prius yet, so its hard for me to understand exactly what it is. It sounds well deep, like walking on the rice paper and not leaving a mark like David Carradine in Kung Fu. Aside from accel work, this guy covers almost all of the front grill and half the engine room in winter, has extended the air intake pipe, and uses the equivalent of a block heater on the engine. It sounds like he is using a halogen room heater, a somewhat improvised solution.

The speed limit on most Japanese roads is low, so law-abiding Japanese drivers will get good mileage in many cars outside the city. The Japanese S (no VTC) model EPA is 35.5km/l, though I think this is the first time anyone has claimed to achieve it.

Some of the PriusMania people will no doubt read this, so keep it up fellas! They have some of their offline meetings in Aichi where my missus is from, so I might try and go to one of them for some "tane akashi" (revealing of secrets).

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    still impressive no matter how it was achieved. but considering polution levels in Japan, i think its a mistake to not have bladders there. i for one am satisfied with the range i get in my car

7. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"96388)</div>
    The Japanese Prius was designed using a different approach from a bladder.
    A charcoal canister is used to trap the fuel vapors. Ours are also green cars.

Regards,
    Ken@Japan

8. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"96290)</div>
    The catalog spec is 45 liters, same as the US model.
    But, slow pumping results up to 50 liters. My best was 49.49 liters.

The secret is to raise the rear left wheel more than 4 inches and to shake the vehicle while pumping, then the result will be more than 60 liters. :)
    http://blog.livedoor.jp/c_take/

Ken@Japan

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :crazyeyes: how the heck do you guys come up with all these crazy ideas lol.

Btw, the 'in between', are you talking about no arrows?

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmm i dont suppose an english version is available?

11. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"96449)</div>
    You could try Google translator. You "might" get the gist of what's going on.

Is "in-between" where the bars are above 40 (off the display), but it's not running on pure battery?

12. SanZan

SanZan Junior Member

If I get a moment, I'll try and write up what I can find. A lot of the Japanese discussions about fuel economy are scattered across a number of threads on different message boards belonging to members of that hardcore group of mileage freaks, but I'll see what I can find.

We got our Prius yesterday. I drove it for the first time today, and averaged 24.3km/l (57mpg US) for nearly 300km, mostly on the Japanese highway with a vertical gain of over 600m from sea level. Average speed was a shade over 90km/h on the highway and 70km/h on ordinary roads. I'm a very happy camper!

Ken can probably describe it better than me but the impression I got of the description of the "inbetween" state "White EPV2" Sensei talks about is a borderline state where the power display hasn't changed but what the car is doing has.

walter Lee likes this.
  13. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How did he do that?

Hello all, again,

I gather the information how he did that things.
    Following is the list of his environment, tips and tricks.

* His driving was 60% commuting(20 miles one way) and 40% private driving.
    * The typical places were two or three lanes of city roads.
    * There were some signal stops.
    * There were some little slopes but no steep.
    * He rarely drove on highway.
    * He never drove a short trip.
    * He did not drive in heavy rain.
    * He covered front grill to keep the ICE and the intake air warm.
    * He did the briskly acceleration but no battery assist, no yellow arrow from battery.
    * He did coasting as much as possible.
    * He put his bare big toe on the throttle for the precise control.
    * He sometimes do coasting in neutral on less than 40km/h.

That's all,
    Hope these information will help some of your better mileage.

Regards,
    Ken@Japan

3 people like this.
  14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    interesting about taping the grill up. most cars need an open grill to keep from overheating. but my Prius has never felt very warm. last year i drove to Montana during 100+º F heat at 70-75 mph and air set at 68º low fan and the car never got to the point where the engine compartment was giving off a lot of excess heat.

i wonder how much it would help in the winter time when my car would be cold in a very short period of time even in mild weather.

15. pearsonrj

pearsonrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So 80 mpg equates to, say, 45% over the combined 55 mpg that the Prius is advertised to get. If you apply that to a 'regular' car, it is quite impressive, but at the same time if really baby any car you can comfortably exceed its EPA estimates. My minivan is rated for 25 mpg highway, but I bet if I drove at 45 mph on backroads without the A/C on, very little stopping/starting etc. I could comfortably return 35 mpg. I've seen a 30% improvement over EPA highway mileage before in the minivan...

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ive had vehicles that i could not "comfortably" exceed the EPA no matter how i drove it

17. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The "inbetween" state sounds like when the internal combusion engine( ICE) at minumum-initial power levels. On a 3rd gen Prius, this is when the ICE is running somwhere between 992 to 1088 Revolutions Per Minute (RPM) and the ICE is burning about .50 to .75 gallons of gasoline per hour (GPH) - it is a transitionary power state when switching from electrical to gas power and very difficult to maintain/hold on a 3rd generation Prius. It is called Superhighway Mode (SHM) among most hypermilier on cleanmpg.com (especially Prius owners). From what I understand, on a 2010 Prius via a ScangaugeII Xgauge, the SHM ( aka Super Atkinson Highway Mode , SAHM, among some circles ) manifests itself as TPS=18-19, IGN=20-22 (this number differs with the make and model of an Atkinson cycle gas engine based vehicle).

18. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It depends on my car. I ran a full grill block on my Camry and the only time it overheated was going 75mph up the Baker grade with ~1000lbs of people/stuff in it on a 100+ degree day. YMMV, but most cooling systems seem to be somewhat over-engineered.