1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

133k mile service ... by myself. Advice and thoughts

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tallassazn, May 13, 2018.

1. tallassazn

tallassazn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm planning to do the service on my 2010 Prius with 133k miles by myself. My experience with cars is pretty limited. I did use to change the oil on a 98 Camry and installed a car stereo system in a 98 Altima that previously had nothing. But other than that, I will be following NutzaboutBoltz videos.

The Prius has had no major issues. At 129k I had a rough engine sound and then the engine light came on. Had the dealer replace the sparks and the light turned off.

Was due for 10k oil change at 132k. Bought oil filter wrench, oil drain plug gasket, and Toyota Oil filters to do the oil change. Does everyone just use Toyota motor synthetic oil? 4 quarts if I remember.

While down there I was also looking to:
    Drain and refill the ATF fluid
    Engine Coolant Drain & refill
    Inverter Coolant Drain & refill

The coolant for the Engine and Inverter is the same Toyota Super Long life Coolant correct?

I don't have a torque wrench. Should I have one for the Coolant gasket/drain plug or can I hand tighten?

I haven't didn't do any major services at 100k or 120k.

Should I do anything else while I have the plastic undercover off?

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

check your o/m for service intervals. are you keeping up with filters and brakes?
    you should probably do the egr and intake cleaning, which is not in toyota's recommendations.

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wash all the plastic fasteners in hot soapy water, work the mechanism, to clear out the grit.

When doing the transaxle fluid, make sure the car is roughly level: proper level at refill is achieved by refilling (with the car level) until fluid starts coming back out. Only use Toyota ATF WS, it's foolhardy IMHO to use alternatives.

How are you raising the car, with floor jacks and safety stands? If so, I'd securely chock the rear wheels (use proper, heavy rubber chocks), raise the front, support the front on safety stands, raise the rear, settle on to two more safety stands. The scissor jack locations are shite for regular safety stand cradles, unstable and prone to bend. I would recommend these points, marked in red:

upload_2018-5-13_11-3-41.png

For oil change, a good socket is worthwhile to get. I use Honda's standard automotive oil filter socket, it works fine. Toyota also has one.

For the coolant change, if you read your schedule carefully, it maybe the inverter coolant is ok for a while longer, 160K miles or 15 years?

m.wynn likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

The coolant for both loops is the Suoer Long Life coolant (the pink stuff);).

Some questions:
    • Where in the great state of California are you located?
    • What is your plan for raising the car up?
    • Do you have a good set of wrenches?
    • Have you thought about the egr circuit as the rough engine start could be related?
    Keep us posted (y).

m.wynn likes this.
  5. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just did all the fluids at 107k. Oil, trans, both coolant, brake, and the plugs too. Haven't had any problems with rattling on startup as long as I don't shut it off before it's warmed up. Makes it easy if you have a lift. You can drain and fill the oil and trans through holes in the splash shield. I have actually cut off my oil change door to make it easier. But the inverter coolant drain is in the transaxle and there's no hole cut so you'll either need to cut one or remove the shield. Note: removing the shield has other benefits I.E. it uncovers the radiator drain. Other things you may find extremely helpful are a scan tool such as snap on to turn on the inverter coolant pump during filling and a vacuum coolant fill tool so you can fill the engine coolant without warming it up.

iPhone ?

6. tallassazn

tallassazn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm in the Bay Area East bay currently. Live in LA.

Was going to buy a jack stand and use a set of stands and rhino ramp.

I have wrenches from a cheap kit from Walmart lol.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  8. tallassazn

tallassazn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So is the meet up for sure in Fairfield this weekend? Would love to come out.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes, as my wife has given permission ;).

Respond to the meet up thread, and I’ll send a PM out later this week for more specific details :).

See you this Sunday (y).

m.wynn likes this.