1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

138 km/h on voltage alone! Porsche announces more details on the Cayenne S Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Porsche says that their engineers have been able to hit speeds as high as 86 miles per hour in the upcoming Cayenne S Hybrid. The gas-electric version of the popular performance SUV is set for launch in 2010 and will feature a performance-enhancing parallel hybrid drive system that fixes the electric motor between the gas engine and transmission.

Full Article

2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I find it odd that Porsche chose the 5,000 pound (est.) SUV to develop hybrid technology, but I'm going to give them benefit of the doubt and assume they are applying the logic of "if we can do it the Cayenne, just think of what we can do to the Boxster!" Go Porsche! (I assume this technology will make it's way over to VW and Audi, especially since this Cayenne will be using an Audi engine).

Think of athletes that train with 50 pound backpacks on, and then remove the backpacks for the actual competition. That's the concept that I have in mind here.

3. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I thought this is based off the 2mode hybrid. If so, they cannot put it in car because the 2mode cannot get that small.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Cayenne is their best selling model and they're not going to put hybrid systems in their sports cars so Cayenne and Panamera will be the two vehicles to receive hybridisation.

5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it is same system to be used in touareg, you can already read "prototype" reviews on UK sites. 10% less mileage than older RX400h, and they chose 8 speed auto instead of integrated which is still jerky (and they have been battling that problem for 3 years now)...

6. asjoseph

asjoseph Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ah! Ten years late to market, Porsche's finally figuring-out how to do a hybrid? "Missed it -- by that much!" (Adams, Don. "Get Smart;" circa 1967).

Porsche, leader of men! Trick is: can lazy, crotchety, overpaid Porsche mechanics be adequately trained, to properly service them? I think they're going to have to exhume Stanley Kubrick... Clockwork Orange.

Behavioral mod rides again!

Regards,
    ~ S a m u e l

/////////////////////////////////

7. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My wife's uncle works on the Hybrid Cayenne project, in Stuttgart. He said in the beginning they had to disassemble a Prius to figure out how Toyota did it.

8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i dont know if you are joking or not, but Porsche originally wanted to buy RX400h technology from Toyota for their hybrid.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did hear them wanting Toyota's technology but for whatever reason, declined and decided to create one from scratch on their own.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hear what you're saying, but still . . . it's tantamount to GM making the Yukon a hybrid. At least (for example) the Lexus/Toyota SUV hybrids are rated around 30+mpg (maybe only the old epa standards) ... now if they're on par with that, or better mpg's then bring it on. I suppose it'll at least be cleaner, smog wise, than its counterpart, right?

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True but GM is different. They do have the option of small, medium and large vehicles (cars or SUV). Porsche doesn't have that kind of flexibility. Besides, if I had to guess, the Cayenne is probably their most profitable vehicle too.

What was Toyota's decision to hybridize the Highlander and RX over the RAV4? It's to show that hybrids can be powerful (270hp) and flexible (up to 7-pass in the Highlander) and adapted to SUVs (both standard and luxury)

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We did the "rip the Prius apart" thing too, see the Argonne /
    Oakridge papers. We have yet to see any of that work plow into
    american efforts other than a few prototypes, however.
    I think I can make confident personality-profile statements about
    anyone who drives a Cayenne. Or a BMW x5, for that matter.
    You can guess the rest.
    _H*

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like, ever? Hybrids can offer more torque, better traction and braking, and better mileage. If a capacitor system is ever perfected, negating the weight penalty of conventional batteries, all cars and trucks could be hybrids.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ULEV only ouch! No word about electric A/C.

15. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I love your posts. They are some of the few that make me LOL. Please continue to post.

16. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

toyota said that they cant just take hybrids components, they need to take their engine as it all works together, and Porsche declined thinking it is not so... they then found out they were wrong - this was in Autoweek interview with chief engineer at Porsche about that product 2 or 3 years ago.

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nissan was able to put their own gas engine in the Altima hybrid but they had to work together closely with Toyota to achieve that.

18. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm familiar with Porsches, and they have their quirks like any other car. They're expensive because they're built to go on the track at 160 mph. They are godawful expensive to service, and have a history of oil leak issues (the RMS problem never seems to go away, though not in the Cayenne). In normal driving, they are pretty much like any other car. BMWs are cheaper, and have better gearboxes.

As somebody said, the Cayenne is pretty much a VW Toureg with a Porsche label stuck on it, and probably some upgrading enginewise,etc. to make it trackable. An SUV for racing--for those that must have everything.

Rupp (or is it Ruff?) is a German car builder who upgrades 911s to higher performance. They have built an all-electric 911 which is very fast (0-60 in 7 secs). It uses the CVT transmission. Range is limited and the cost is astronomical. They say the car is very quiet ('like a spaceship"), and is the race car of the future with all that low rpm torque and gearless shifting. They should have said "very quiet like a Prius."

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ahh okok, thanks!