1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

15,000 maintanence check

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Sandra Murphy, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Sandra Murphy

Sandra Murphy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My 15,000 maintanence check is coming up in 2,000 more miles. I'm leaving for a trip to SC from WI in three weeks(By the way, I have a 2007 Prius Hybrid.) It's been a rough winter up here in WI and my car has had to sit outside. I wasn't going to do maintanence on it until I got back, but because of what my car's been thru, I'm wondering if I shouldn't do maintanence before I leave. Also, this coming up oil change I will be putting in Mobile 1 synthetic. Another question is tire pressure. I have been keeping 37-35 w/nitrogen in my tires. Should I change any of that? (pressure,that is.) I've been reading what other owners are doing and I was wondering if doing something different would help my mileage. This winter I've been getting high 30's to low 40's mpg. Going down south I'm sure, will help that.

I'd appreciate any comments.

I'd just like to say something about the performance of my Prius this winter. I was wondering how it would do in the snow and of course, I found out. I can't say enough wonderful things about how it handled - it was outstanding. I'm very nervous in ice and snow, but felt very safe in my little Prius. I've thanked the Lord a thousand times for it.

Sandra

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A long cold winter the oil will have a lot of trash in it, and non synthetic oil doesn't do a very good job keeping sludge under control. Might as well go ahead and service it before the trip, this way you won't have any worries

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    do it before you leave to get it off your mind. it's just over 2k miles from nc to wi and back so you'll be a little past your interval when you get home.

i grew up a few miles north of you so i know how the winters are up that way! once you're out of the snowy regions, you can increase tire pressure to 42/40. but traction is more important that fuel economy when it's slippery out.

4. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'd say go ahead and change your oil and oil filter before the long trip. Check all your fluid levels and tire pressure as desired and enjoy the ride. It really won't hurt anything is you have to wait after your trip south. BTW, if your air filter has not been changed yet...go ahead and purchase one from your local auto parts store.

5. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What do they charge you for a maintenance check? As noted, you really don't need anything but an oil change. You can change the air filter if you want, but even that is not really necessary. If you take it to the dealer, they will not change the air filter unless you pay extra for it.

Just take it somewhere and have them put in your Mobil 1. Don't waste your money at the dealer.

6. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Keep in mind that the standard labor charge may vary from $60.00/hour to $89 per hour or could be higher. If you want a rush job, they may add an additional $30 to get the job done as fast as they can. Parts are usually overpriced at the dealership. If you can DIY (air filter and such), replace it yourself.

I think at 15K, there is really not a whole lot to check...the most important part of the service check are the brakes and fluid levels. Enjoy your ride. :cheer2:

7. Sandra Murphy

Sandra Murphy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi again,
    I just wanted to thank you all for your comments. I have decided to go ahead and have to oil changed and the tires rotated.

Sandra

8. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good call on having the service done pre-trip.

Regarding tire pressures, most folks here seem to run 42/40, I'd try that and suspect you'll see an immediate increase in your mileage.