1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

15,000 Mile Service Revisited

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by efusco, Nov 26, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm plannin to have my 15k miles service done next week and recalled all the prior threads about the additional service needed at 15k miles and thought I'd go in prepared so I didn't have any issues as Starla did.

Well, I can't find ANYTHING more that's needed at 15k miles than at 5k or 10k! I went to toyota.com and downloaded thier service info...nada. Not even the reported PCV valve replacement.

So does someone else have an official source that says this thing needs something more than an oil change, oil filter, and tire rotation? Yea, they can inspect my air filters and all that junk, but they're ok. I just don't see why I'd need to do any more than the oil and filter for warranty purposes.

Someone please straighten me out with something more than "My Dealer Told Me." type stuff.

2. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Just had my 15,000 mile service done a little while ago. I asked that the air filter be changed because the engine at times seemed a little rough.

So:

. They changed the oil and filter
    . They replaced the air filter
    . And they washed the car

Total cost: $37.45 (with dealer coupons)

And yes, the air filter made a difference. The car now idles smoothly and I don't get that little shudder when the engine shuts off.

3. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    when at the dealer... was told they check the seals around the PVC... if it looks bad then they replace seal and pvc... that is all that is done...

Hope you had a great t-day... later

4. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I concur with Evan; just did my 15k service myself: oil change, tire rotation. I did replace the air filters, cabin and engine, though. I figured since I was saving so much money over the dealer service prices, why not. I will say looking at the filters, it probably would have been fine for another 15k.

So on another topic, since I haven't noticed it, nor can I find reference to it in the service booklet, where is the PVC valve?

Thanks,
    Shawn

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Small quibble, but it's PCV, not PVC. PVC is a form of plastic (PolyVinylCloride), where PCV is Pollution Control Valve.

Another pet peeve of mine is repeating the word that the last letter of the acronym represents:

PCV Valve = Pollution Control Valve valve.
    NIC card = Network Interface Card card.

Bit redundant. Guess quibbling about that is a bit retentive though.

6. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"53032)</div>
    How about VIN.

"What's your VIN number?"

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Thanks! That escaped me.

8. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"53032)</div>
    I think it's really
    PCV = positive crankcase ventilation
    so valve at the end is correct. Of course, PVC is indeed a type of plastic.

Anyway, again, where is it?

Thanks,
    Shawn

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

My dad, who was an automechanic, always called it a pollution control valve, but you are right, they call it a Positive Crankcase Ventilation. You'll get the right part, no matter which way you call it.

It appears to be on the driver's side of the valve cover, just under the wireing harness. Might be easier to spot by removing the relay assembly. Follow the hoses from the throttle body.

You are correct, there doesn't seem to be a recommended replacement or even inspection interval. Probably 30K would seem appropriate to inspect or replace, along with the air filter. Looks like a bit of a pain to get to. The inverter coolant reservoir is a bit in the way.

10. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now if someone could just explain "a bit redundant" to me.... ;) Of course if you are retaining the bit, then I guess it makes some sense...