1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

15" or 17" Wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Wooski, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry if this has been picked up in another thread and I've missed it.

It seems from the reviews I've read that when Toyota adds the 17" wheels they've also firmed up the shock absorbers. These reviews also appear to indicate that the 15" equipped car handles in a similiar way to the Gen 2 car whilst the 17" handles much better. I'm someone who is more than happy to go from 89g CO2 to 92g CO2 for a better handling (and better looking) car. The difference in my wallet at the pumps will be negliable.

But I wondered what others thought? Did any of the testers get to try both a 15" and 17" equipped cars?

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

17" will certainly handle better - just look at its steering ratio to see how much they modified it. I am guessing that in Europe there will be more of 17" packages than in USA, just like our Prius had 16" wheels standard while theirs had 16" as "Touring" model.

3. johnnyp500

johnnyp500 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The solar sunroof or any sunroof for that matter will not be available on the 17" is that correct? Or is it just when adding those little tech things? If I want 17" with sunroof and no added tech package is that possible? puh leease say yes :D

4. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I think this will be different in different markets. The white Euro Prius shown at Geneva and in photos certainly has the 17" wheels and the solar/moon roof. Though in the US this combination is not available.

5. jprates

jprates https://ecomove.pt

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    You can see some photos I took at the Geneva motor show on this thread from this page onwards:

http://prius-pt.com/cafe/forums/t/1455.aspx?PageIndex=4

6. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There's been quite a bit of discussion about this, I think buried somewhere in this thread: http://priuschat.com/forums/2010-toyota-prius/58321-2010-prius-models-option-packages.html

Due to weight restrictions, the optional sunroof package is not available on the Model V (the model with the 17" wheels). You might be able to add 17s after-market, or swap your wheels with another 2010 Prius purchaser, but this would require additional calibration. For example, turning radius might need to be adjusted to stop the larger wheels from touching the car.

You are correct, most of the reviews seem pleased with the driving performance of the new Prius when equipped with 17s, but find little improvement with the 15s. I think its a pretty obvious choice. The sunroof package alone is probably going to cost at least $2k additional. I'm more than happy to skip that option for the 17s on the Model V.

7. johnnyp500

johnnyp500 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well.. here's the thing. I'd love to have the solar roof but I wouldnt mind giving it up if it had at least a non-solar roof sunroof. The problem is that in this case I'd have to choose between 15" and sunroof and 17" and no sunroof. I think we all know that the 17" is the way to go for the handling but I wish Toyota would offer a package that includes the roof and the 17" inch for a lower MPG but a happier me :)

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I was told at PC LA that the 17" version had been tuned for driving whereas the 15" versions were still pre-production and handling had not yet been fully tuned. I'd like to think this is right and that the 15" results improve slightly. Tire choice will have some impact as well.

9. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

From most of the reviews, its seems the ride with 17" gets the credit in the handling department.

Nevertheless, that aspect that can be improved further with strut bars, sport-biased coilovers and the likes.

10. johnnyp500

johnnyp500 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In any case, if Toyota reps are monitoring this forum just do us a favor, Don't worry about weight distribution.. Just put the darn roof with the 17" I promise that I will not consider the fusion if that happens ;)

11. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok, here's the deal. There is still some tuning going on! In a couple weeks we should be able to explain all this to you.

If it was up to me, I'd do it. But it ain't. However, next time you see Otsuka-san, plead your case!

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

12. jprates

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Doug,

Just curious about one thing: as you surely know, the European version has the 17" wheel + moon roof + led headlights package available. What is the technical reason preventing the American version from having it as well? What is the specificity of your market that prevents this package from being sold there?

Again, just curious, I'm in Europe, so I'm really not affected by this.

Cheers,

13. johnnyp500

johnnyp500 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not a prob... Give me his number, or email and i'll take care of it ;)

Don't worry Prius people... We will have our sunroof with 17" Wheels.

Yes we can :) :) :)

14. William B. Kayen

William B. Kayen New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree with your thoughts. I want a 2010 Prius with moonroof and fog lamps. For some reason, they packaged the car with leather, nav., and moonroof and no fog lamps. I am not getting a loaded prius only to find dummy plastic plugs where foglamps should be. If I can't get the fog lamps I will not gety the Prius and maybe look into a Jetta TDI.

15. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The painful reality is that I don't really know either. We have been told that this is impossible around the world. But we're a very large corporation handling a huge amount of data and information. Sometimes the sales and marketing side gets answers very late, or never.

Now, have you seen an actual production car and/or final brochure that shows these together for your market? If not, it may be that it's not really coming (sorry to bring that up). Or, it may be that other features are not available on that unit, freeing up weight. Or it may be that what we were told isn't true.

Someday we'll all know, but that day isn't today.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

16. William B. Kayen

William B. Kayen New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Doug, thanks for your honesty. I am sure Toyota is listening to our thoughts and will try their best to accommodate wherever possible.

17. jprates

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Many thanks for being so straight forward!

Well, actual production car no, after all the word is that production has not start yet, I don't know better.
    You can download the Toyota Europe final brochure here: http://prius-pt.com/cafe/media/p/7513.aspx
    You can also check several photos with this pack published by Toyota Europe to the press on my site here: Media - Prius-PT
    Just choose one image, and then click on the image very large thumbnail if you want to get the very-high-res original version.
    One very good example would be this one: PRIUS 2010 EUROPA - FOTO 02 - Prius-PT

May be, but we're getting closer ;)

EDIT: Forgot to add, I was inside one of those beauties at Geneva earlier this month! :D Check out the photos I took on this thread: Genebra 2009 - Prius-PT

18. jinx

jinx New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

The car shown in Geneva that had 17" wheels and a sunroof was clearly marked as an unavailable option combination. It seems that in various European countries one can get either the wheels or the sunroof. That is the only limitation - in both cases one can have the fog lamps, etc

19. jprates

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohhh... that might explain it... :(

By the way, it was ?CLEARLY? marked on what language and where?!!?!? :mad:

Then again, this would be misleading marketing, since they have released pictures to the press and final brochures with it... I'm still not convinced... I don't believe Toyota Europe would do that!

20. jinx

jinx New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There was a sticker in English on the car itself. Also confirmed by Toyota people on the stand and the CH option packages leaflet.