1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

15 seconds

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Aug 24, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    wjtracy, iplug, ftl and 1 other person like this.
  2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Obviously you have become locally famous. You got the bad bill from a bank? They got some 'splainin' to do.

If you still have the bill in hand, put it in a baggie and stop smearing your damn DNA on in it!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i always knew you'd be famous one day!(y)

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There are hypothesis:
    • < 5% - teller putting money in envelope substituted a bogus $50 and when I transfered bills to wallet, I didn't detect it.
    • > 95% - gas station attendant took pre-pay $50 and while house keeper filling with gas, substituted bogus bill, and then called it. Had the bill been confiscated and police called, the clerk would have been suspect but they used this opportunity to 'thieve' our house keeper. She should have called the police, problem solved.
    • < 1% - housekeeper decided 'taking' $50 was better than 'asking'.
    • << 1% - old fat guy who recorded buying the $50 bill and has on an SD card; having traveled around two three small business owners and the WHNT news station and presented to owners/managers as a training aid, so; he could have a cute story show up in local news (*).
    Bob Wilson

* - In 1974, a staff sergeant and I were tasked with making a course about about Job Control Language (something no one living today should EVER have to deal with!) We covered how JCL commands could be entered in the card reader, a failover mechanism in case the primary console failed. With an "N" in card column 72, the command would execute but not show up in the system log. One of commands was:

"$CJ<number | range>,<number | range>

Example, $CJ1-999,1-999, kills all jobs running and all output, the 'exlax' command​

For a day and a half I was walking around smiling, smug that I could 'revenge' at any time. But I was walking down the hall and another Marine was in a hurry the other way. "What's up?" I asked.

"The computer has a problem and we're going to have to see if we can avoid a reboot." . . . and my smug was wiped out.

The way they operated the computer, it was always going down. These people were already their own worst enemy and the more interesting problem is to keep it up.

So I went to the Gunnery Sergeant in charge and showed him the 'exlax' card. He couldn't believe it so I put in a dummy job on hold and without the "N", canceled it . . . it worked. He had me 'go tell systems' and they said,'Ok, it is not a problem.' And as their door clicked shut, I realized "Oh sh*t!"

I was the guy who figured out the 'exlax' card, told my supervisor and then the systems people. If anyone else decided to do a little 'creative destruction,' I would be the chief suspect . . . like having a bogus $50 on my person.

So as follow-up to the JCL training, I made sure everyone knew about and avoid the 'exlax' card . . . it took 2-3 months before it showed up. By then everyone in the unit knew about it and knew I'd made sure every shift supervisor, their technical lead, and everyone else did too. But I was safe because I'd already been warning about it.

Using the bogus $50 as a training aid at local businesses and turning it in calling it bogus gave me immunity . . . except perhaps from detective Vizzini.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Wow, that the bank teller is even on your list. Where I live there are more cameras on bank workers than clients. A total career-ending thing. I'd more that down to 0.05%, tops. For 50 bucks??

So, where does the house keeper buy gas? Let's just not go there any more.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See Bob?
    If you'd pay your employee a living wage, do the payroll taxes so she could get Social Security benefits, and set her up on Direct Deposit then things like this wouldn't happen, now would they? :D

Note for the humorless: That was sarcasm.
    Bob actually has something of a sense of humor for a liberal Marine.....;)

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was at one of my local places and an old guy with a veteran's 'grab me' cap was disappointed because he could not get a Navy color guard for his deceased buddy. So I suggested he visit the local Marine Reserve unit since the Marines are part of the Navy. He thought it a good idea and left. No idea what happened.

My dad's ashes were buried in Arlington and those folks have the business in cold. Very professional, that is where Mom's ashes will go. But I remember coming back from Okinawa and my Dad had bought a set of 'dress blues.' I thanked my Dad but said I couldn't use them because if my unit knew I had dress blues, I would be volunteered for every special memorial and funeral in the DC area, my next duty station.

I always hated formations but sad to say, was the subject of one on Okinawa, 'Letter of Commendation', and HQ when getting out, a 'Beneficial Suggestion Award' ($600 check in 1974 ... from the Marines!) If you never served, you don't understand and only a sailor would understand how 'tight with a dollar' the Marines are.

Bob Wilson

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Two things, Bob.
    1) Good on you for going around and making everyone aware of counterfeit bills.
    2) You rattle off the names of the local bars just a little too easily.

oh, and 3) I used to code in JCL. I get shivers just thinking about it.

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...Most would say one of the better parts! ;)

I have left instructions for my CFO to throw my pieces/parts into the church cemetery or in the nearest National Cemetery....both would be free.
    As far as the ceremony?
    I still have choker whites.....and they still fit, so I can help render honors--but I've also left instructions to forgo any ceremonies for me personally.
    I came into the world a few months early, which caused enough of a fuss for my parents. Going out will hopefully be a little more subtle. :cool:

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have yet to try hallucinogenic mushrooms.(n)

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "attempting to flee and elude" written once well. Allude is quite another thing :) Your WHNT has handed the shop over to summer interns.

But this is small compared to the Mounties collecting the printing device. Your bad guys also appear to be summer interns.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Timeline:
    • Thursday, Aug 13 - paid house keeper including a tip for her good work
    • Monday, Aug 17 - crooks are arrested ... no press release or news articles
    • Tuesday, Aug 18 - after working the day, she identifies it as a bogus $50 gotten from 'Jet' gas station. I had paid her so I decided to buy the bogus $50
    • Wednesday, Aug 19 - I left bogus $50 on dressing table, a busy work day. That evening, the $50 becomes a training aid and I stop by WHNT, interest but no news editor on duty. Their news department meets the next day and they will 'let me know.'
    • Thursday, Aug 20 - I go to work with bogus $50 in shirt pocket. Shortly after 10 AM, WHNT calls and records interview over lunch hour. At my 1 PM staff meeting, I show supervisor the bogus $50. Afterwards, I turn it over to Redstone Federal Credit Union.
      • The teller wasn't sure what to do if someone comes in and tells them,'This is a bogus $50, can you handle it?' Even the supervisor didn't think to write down my identification but she did write down my account number at my prompting. I just wish she hadn't written it on a blank deposit slip <SHESH!>
    • Friday, Aug 21 - WHNT has some follow-up questions and I let the section manager know there is an article coming ('I work on the principle of no surprises.')
    • Monday, Aug 24 - WHNT story comes out and there is an evening broadcast the section manager sees at the health club
    • Tuesday, Aug 25 - Madison County Sheriff calls press conference and we learn of Aug 17 arrests . . . the WHNT update story includes a brief shot of me and the bogus $50. They also publish pointers on how to detect bogus bills and the 'procedure.'
      • Apparently I was supposed to turn it over to law enforcement. But I wanted my bank, Redstone Federal Credit Union, to have and see the bogus $50 since it wasn't clear at the time that anyone knew about the counterfeit bills.
    Hindsight is always 20/20 but people have to make choices in real time. I try to use humor but it doesn't always work. Huntsville AL is the largest town one should want to live in . . . a Southern thang you wouldn't understand it.

Bob Wilson

#13 bwilson4web, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Anyone hazard a guess why US currency still looks like Monopoly money. In Canada we have plastic bills, with transparent areas, holographic images and God-knows-what.

How come you guys are not all over that, special dispensation for Walter White?

#14 Mendel Leisk, Aug 26, 2015
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    "Men and nations behave wisely when they have exhausted all other resources." - Abba Eban, March 1967.

The four arrested are not the type of characters one would think swift enough to pull this off by themselves. I get the impression of a 'franchise' that set these characters up in business:

. . .
    "If you look at it, they did put some effort into it," Salomonsky said.

The Madison County Sheriff's Office currently has 19 open counterfeiting cases, the investigator said, and some of those arrested last week are suspects in those cases. He said their arrests could potentially clear up multiple cases.

The investigation into the counterfeiting ring remains open and additional arrests are a possibility.

Source: Traffic stop in Madison County leads to arrests in $100,000 counterfeit cash ring | AL.com

There was another case 50 miles away earlier this year:
    $400 in counterfeit money seized after Craigslist fraud - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Apparently the printer is fairly common along with video editing software to make this a little too easy:
    Woman With Printer Shows the Digital Ease of Bogus Cash - Bloomberg Business

Bob Wilson

#15 bwilson4web, Aug 26, 2015
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought the new bills were going to solve this problem. i wonder how much the treasury invested in the new tech?

17. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As they were running away, they were suggesting that they were innocent, hinting that it was not their money, and insinuating that they didn't know where it came from.