1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

15 thousand dollars and 3 months later...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by YoDaddyAlex, Mar 16, 2007.

1. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My Prius is BACK!!!!!!!!!!

Total repair bill: 15,500 dollars

estimate: 5,600

Here is the story

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=27678

I was supposed to get it back a week ago yesterday, noticed black paint on the side, they had to repaint it. got it back this wednesday, noticed a few scratches and the guy buffed out the one I found before I left the shop. Today I noticed a LOT of chips on the windshield, I cant believe what an awful job they did?

This is so annoying, I have paid 3 months car payments for a car with 180 miles on it, drove it for 6 days before a lady ran a red light and hit me... 60% of its value in repairs... what a joke!

I guess there is nothing I can do except continue to go back to the auto body shop and complain? It just doesnt drive new anymore. I doubt it ever will...

:(

-Alex

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oye.. that is a very long time.

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I hope the insurance company fires their adjuster.

4. iaowings

iaowings New Member

15k in repairs they should have totaled it out and given you a new one or whatever.

5. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would seriously push your insurance company to total it and get you another brand new Prius, or at least pay you the difference of the depreciated value so you can ditch it and buy another.

A crashed car is never as good as a car that hasn't been.

6. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What cost so much?

7. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

Also, depending on the initial purchase price, you might be getting close to "salvage title" territory. I think it is when something like 70% to 80% of a car's value is spent on repair, and it probably varies between states.

If you do get stuck with a salvage title you should also be able to get more money from the insurance company, since the car is worth so much less with that type of title.

And, as always when dealing with an insurance company, good luck.

8. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    thanks for the help. Well my insurance "agent" is so not helpful, infact he never returns my calls. Do I talk to him, or the agent representing the woman who hit me? Or the "genius" who did the estimate?

9. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is awful. If it just had 180 miles and had to spend half the value of the car for repairing, it should be totalled. Push to get a new car. Gosh! From the earlier post I saw that you have AAA? I have heard bad stories about them.

10. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Mar 16 2007, 10:32 PM) [snapback]407196[/snapback]</div>
    Sell it and sue SUV lady for your out-of-pocket expenses (purchase price minus sale price plus rental expenses and insurance premium increase)

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmann @ Mar 18 2007, 04:23 PM) [snapback]407995[/snapback]</div>
    I believe your claim is with her insurance company. I would pursue a replacement with her insurance company and as jmann said sue her for your damages. If the car does not "drive like new" you should also complain to the body shop/mechanic. If they were paid to restore the car to its original condition and they haven't then they need to fix it. I'm not a lawyer but I believe you should "sue everyone in sight"--include the garage and the employees who worked on the car. Let the court decide who is ultimately responsible.

Good luck. It will take years.

12. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Mar 18 2007, 10:08 PM) [snapback]408161[/snapback]</div>
    Be careful. This will take years, But there are time limitations. In Ohio, it would be 2 years (maybe similar in CA).

As Jim said, your claim is with her insurance company because they represent her and pay for her liability. However, she is the one liable and so you get to sue her. Her insurance company just represents her (because they are the ones who end up paying out). I also am not an attorney and do not live in California, but a legitimate claim will most defiantly include your out-of-pocket expenses. Some states put a cap on noneconomic damages, but there should be no limit on economic damages. Also, if the suit is small enough (and I am doubtful it would be) you can sue in small claims court where SUV woman would not get an attorney.

13. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will just keep the car. It needs an alignment, and a scratch buffed out on the rear bumper (not sure how they scratched it, all the damage and repairs were on the front), but otherwise it seems fine. I don't know how safe it is, nor what problems I might run into in the future, but I don't want to go through that process.

14. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd just dump it and take the loss myself. No way I or my family would ride in that car after that wreck again...

Sorry this has been such a PITA for you...

15. sub3marathonman

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmann @ Mar 18 2007, 11:26 PM) [snapback]408169[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not an attorney either, but I think the insurance company's attorney could still represent her even in small claims court.

16. excuseMeButt

excuseMeButt Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Mar 19 2007, 01:29 PM) [snapback]408418[/snapback]</div>
    My car is in the shop now with the same kind of damage that you have. Accident was Feb 4 (27 YO girl ran a red) and car went into the body shop on the 17th. $13,000 damage was the last figure I heard. They say they will be done Mar 26.

I plan to go after diminished value compensation of about $3000-4000 or more. I may keep the car or sell it but it has to be perfect.

Good luck with your car Alex.

~buttster

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ Mar 20 2007, 10:00 AM) [snapback]408883[/snapback]</div>
    Usually the cost of paying the claim would be less than an attorney would charge, so you don't find too many attorneys in small claims court.

~buttster

17. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ Mar 20 2007, 06:00 AM) [snapback]408883[/snapback]</div>
    In California, parties in small claims actions are not permitted to be represented by attorneys unless the plaintiff or the defendant is a lawyer, in which case the opposing party is permitted to have a lawyer.

18. sub3marathonman

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Mar 20 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]409133[/snapback]</div>
    I guess that's just another benefit of living in California. :D

19. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    well I called the body shop, they're going to give me a rental on thursday while they take a look at the alignment problem and scratch on the back bumper. I will stick with this car for a while, it hasn't given me much trouble at all, drives nicely except for the alignment issue. plus I was one of the last to get the carpool stickers, not only can I drive in the carpool lane but I can park for free all over la county! I will probably trade in the car once the new design comes out and they extend the carpool lane program again. fighting in court is too much of a hassle. plus the lady who hit me was nice, she admitted fault, if it was somebody who tried to blame me and lie, I wouldn't think twice about taking them to court

20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Mar 20 2007, 10:56 PM) [snapback]409371[/snapback]</div>
    I commend your noble attitude. I believe the good kharma you display will assist in correcting the alignment. Once the car drives like new it will be easier to forget about the unpleasantness.

I have a friend who was injured in a serious accident. It turned him into a paranoid bitter man. I hope that never happens to you. Good luck.