1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1500 mile report card

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by alkurtz, Jun 10, 2010.

1. alkurtz

alkurtz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've had my GenIII IV, for about 5 weeks and just hit 1500 miles.

I feel in love with the Prius when I rented one in Florida last December and finally gave in to my lust at the end of April.

I remain thrilled with the car in every aspect. About the only thing I miss (and I must admit it is a "large" miss) is the manual transmission on my Subaru Forester. But I am keeping my Suby for the winter. I live about 50 miles north of NYC and we get a fair share of snow and ice on our quite hilly and curvy roads. I have an uphill 125 foot long driveway and after turning onto my road am faced with a sharp and uphill curve that has caused problems for front wheel cars even with 4 snowtires. Will put 4 snows on the Prius come November and test it out but foresee still using by Forester. I know that CVTs maximize mileage and that driving a manual transmission is becoming a lost art, but I wonder whether we will ever see a manual transmission pure hybrid or EV. What will happen in Europe where 95% of the cars are manuals and they sort of look down on whimpy Americans who can't learn to use a clutch.

No rattles to speak of. Everything works fine and after the normal adjustment a driver must make to a new vehicle, everything feels normal. Bluetooth, IPod, garage door opener all work as advertised. When I first drove the Prius rental is December I found myself always cycling between the displays, but with my own, and once the novelty was over, I pretty much stay with the HSI display.

Getting about 52 MPG. I don't plain to obsess with hypermiling but drive normally with some adaptations. I find that when there is no traffic or anyone behind me, I will coast more to lights and down hills, but when I am in a normal traffic flow, I will drive "normally." Way back during the first gas crunch in 1973, I read about driving as if you had an egg between your foot and the accelerator, took that to heart, and have never been a lead foot driver. But when I am in traffic I will accelerate and brake normally. I am not going to be one of those people other drivers shake their fist at.

Have not run into any braking issues. Again, trying to brake as if this is a normal car and not one with two braking systems but am always aware of the transition between the two systems and ready to react as needed.

Overall, I give my Prius an A+.

2. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have also just completed about 1,500 miles in my new Prius iv. My observations are:

1. I really like driving in Power Mode all the time. Normal mode is not responsive enough. I drive fairly aggressively. The car should stay in Power mode once it is set
    2. The FM radio has a lot of static - more than my 2005 Prius. The Sat radio can be good, but often drops out. The CD sound is very good.
    3. What does Plasma Cluster do? I use it but I'm not sure if the negative ions do anything for me.
    4. Mileage is over 50 mpg, even with power mode and aggressive driving.
    5. The leather seats are good, but could be a little softer and better quality leather. Lumbar support helps, but I would like full power seat.
    6. Why not a windshield washer fluid warning? My Camry has it.

These are minor points. Overall, the car is great.