1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1500 Mile Road Trip Review

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by car compulsive, Sep 15, 2012.

1. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We visited my girlfriend's daughters & grandkids this week, traveling from Michigan to Virginia Beach. Given the recent changeover in my vehicle stable, it was between spending an estimated $300 in fuel to drive the new Ridgeline or $130 to drive the Prius. We took the Prius as it was just the two of us with only a couple bags and had no regrets. The actual fuel cost was just under $110, averaging 52.3 MPG per fuelly.

Observations:
    - No problems maintaining speed in the (mild) mountains of PA on I-76.
    - Seat comfort was fine, as we stopped for breaks about every 2-3 hours and swapped seats.
    - We drove one tank down to a remaining range of 13 miles and it only took 9.6 gallons to fill - plenty of reserve.
    - Cargo space was ample as we took a number of presents under the rear floor and used that space for dirty laundry on the way back.
    - The Prius was a hit with my girlfriend's adult daughters. The boyfriend of the younger daughter sniffed at 50 MPG, claiming he gets 60 in his 1990 Ford Festiva.
    - I never felt at a loss for power when needed, like when pulling away from a toll booth, etc.
    - The open area under the "bridge" was very useful for small items needed when on the road.
    - My girlfriend liked to creep up to 80 MPH if not using cruise control.

Aside from visiting family, swimming in the ocean, & good food, the Blue Angels and other jets were practicing over the beach for the air show this weekend. Also my girlfriend (former Navy) asked her ex-husband (also former Navy) to get us on a carrier. Since most of his carrier contacts had retired, he took us where he works as a contractor at NAS Oceana. I think this beats a carrier. While I was in the cockpit of that operational F-18, a Sr. Chief walked by and asked him "Does he know what NOT to touch in there?"

f18 thumbs up.jpg

jaymac likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    very nice, thanks for te write up!

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cool, even cooler that your girl friend is on civil terms with her ex.

4. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This made me LOL. Love it when people use that comparison...should've asked him if his car would protect him in a minor collision or crinkle up like a soda can with no airbags, ABS, or other safety features.