1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1500 Watt Emergency power outlet?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by mbrubaker, Nov 12, 2015.

1. mbrubaker

mbrubaker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At the end of this youtube.com slide show there is an indication that the 2016 has a 1500 watt emergency power outlet in the rear cargo area. Has anyone else seen any info on this?

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It was/is an option on existing Prius plug ins, so offering it on the Prius wouldn't be a major technical issue, but the option was Japan market only.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you want one, it's easy to add. And a lot less expensive if you don't do the Toyota one. Kinda like the GPS? ;)

4. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That piqued my attention too. Right now, I have a 1000 watt emergency power outlet in the rear cargo area of my 2010 Prius. And I've never needed it for an emergency, just for camping. :)

See it in my signature, "Add a 1kw inverter to your Prius."

#4 Terrell, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  5. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just enough power to run a rice cooker for that fun picnic that makes a great add.

If you want efficient quite emergency power consider a Honda inverter generator. That reminds me, time to cycle mine.
    upload_2015-11-14_10-38-30.jpeg

6. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And just how long does the Honda generator run compared with the Prius? And how much noise? The Prius is quiet, and runs a very long time on a tank of gas. :)

I've not tried it myself yet, but there are people who have powered their home during a power outage with their Prius. That was my argument (to my wife) for letting me do the 1 kw inverter installation in our Prius. At least to keep the freezer and refrigerator running, as well as a few lights in the house. But so far, we've not had any long power outages. So I use it to cook rice in a rice cooker on picnics and camping trips, as well as run a small microwave oven. I love the surprised looks I get - makes the whole project worth it!

If I'm out in the middle of nowhere, I could hang a sheet on a clothesline and set up a sound system, and show videos with a video projector. I've wanted to do that, just because it's possible, but so far, have not. But think of the fun it would be!

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    First, the inverter in the cars shown was a Japanese output one (100V 50 Hz). Don't expect that in North America. There won't be any notice of whether it will be offered in NA specs. until the cars are listed with the option packages.

Second, I noticed in a few of the preliminary "mumblings" that the power outage emergency supply for your house would also be offered - in Japan. Again, until the cars are listed with the option packages we won't know if that might be available here in NA. This system doesn't use the 12V system, but rather the "high voltage" system (200VDC/560V three phase AC). It's a little easier to get the needed multi kilowatts that way. The 12V system is limited to around 12V 40Amp or 500W continuous (the internal inverter charger output on the 12V system). Much more for short periods using the battery, but at 40A-Hr capacity emphasis on the "short".

Finally, we use the "Honda Generator" idea for Amateur Radio exercises. The generator will run as long as you like, provided you keep it fueled up. Many of them are rated for continuous duty. Ours is very quiet and runs about 10 hours on a tank of fuel. WIth a 5 gallon fuel container handy it will be fine for a weekend of continuous operation.

8. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Terrell, I don't want to sound like a Honda add, but you should kick the tires on this. The eu2000i is rated 8.1 hrs @ 1/4 load and I can tell you it is crazy quite. If you were running one in back of your house people inside or in front would not know it was there except that your lights are on. The smaller one is even quiter. Inverter generators throttle down to an idle depending on load. The Prius can throttle off so it might win in a low demand situation, but in an emergency a discrete generator could be better. These things can be paralleled for more power.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no reason they won't offer it in n/a, fingers crost.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It was in one of the two presentations Danny posted after the Las Vegas reveal. But there were no technical details beyond showing it in the rear.
    The Prius based inverters have no extra maintenance. If the car is running, the inverter is available.
    This is why we're waiting for the November 18 embargo as there are more technical details about the inverter needed.
    Both our 2003 and 2010 Prius handle 1 kW continuous, 75A @13.8V. The 12V battery provides additional surge measured in 10s of seconds so a 1.5 kW inverter can be used with proper wiring.
    [​IMG]
    At 1 kW, our 2003 Prius is in the same efficiency range as the standalone generators. The Prius inverter runs while driving the car for laptop power or anything else that needs 120 VAC.

Standalone inverters are a carbon monoxide hazard that kill about a dozen people, often families, each year. They run the generator inside a living space. In contrast, the Prius catalytic converter is so efficient, more than an order of magnitude lower, that there is almost no carbon monoxide hazard.

Bob Wilson

ftl likes this.
  11. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    you can have one today. 140 bucks at your favorite online bookstore.

[​IMG]

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Except that is already on the Prius PHV in Japan, and it was until the middle of the gen2's cycle before we got an EV button.

13. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone here try one of these? If you're going to plug out your Prius you could go big. Plug-Out Kits
    [​IMG]

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's not a reason.
    yawn
    it just takes up so much space in the hatch.

bwilson4web likes this.
  15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As good as any reason on why or why not a car company offers a certain option in a market.

How about this from a paid anti-FCEV lackey.* The Mirai has a power out device. If Toyota offered one on the Prius in NA, and one that doesn't require a Chademo EVSE, then that is one less thing they can tout as being special about their FCEV in the NA press.

*I am not a paid lackey.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pointless really, since the mirai is not really available, and by the time it is, we'll have moved so far on, it won't matter.

17. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Damn, I wanted to run turkey fryer while on the go.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    need a diesel hybrid for that.:p

decapitate first.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Propane heater is no problem; burner and pot no problem,but; not enough head room to put in the bird.

Bob Wilson

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The biggest problem is it would be a form of cannibalism.

Bob Wilson