1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

15k Mile Service Experience

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by INPrius, Dec 20, 2006.

1. INPrius

INPrius New Member

Just dropped off my 2005 Prius for a 15k miles service at the dealer and I found this really interesting.

The guy at the dealer showed me a list of items on their standard 15k miles service. I glance at it and they were a lot of items that I do not itend to pay $180 for (such as fuel injector cleaner etc).

I showed him the service booklet and tell him just perform items suggested by Toyota. The reply was 'So you only want oil change and check brakes?'

My impression is, the dealer is not interested in doing the regular inspection work, such as inspecting ball joints, dust covers, engine and inverter coolant...as stated on the booklet. Even when I have the booklet right in front of them.

If that is the case, why should I bring my car to the dealer while the oil change and brake check can be done at Sears or Midas?

Just my thought... <_<

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(INPrius @ Dec 20 2006, 07:45 AM) [snapback]364524[/snapback]</div>
    No good reason to use a Toyota dealer for the routine stuff. In fact a lot of people do their own oil/filter changes at home. The $180 thing is a pure money maker for the dealer and you were right to request only the service in the book. The 30k and 60k and 100k maintenance is probably best done by your dealer since few if any other places are equipt to do those.

3. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree 100% with what efusco says. I NEVER take my car to the dealer for service, unless I have a problem that's covered under warranty. What is described in this thread is yet another example of a pure and simple dealer ripoff of the customer. If you don't want to change the oil/filter yourself, there are plenty of reliable independent auto repair shops that will do just as good a job (probably better) for around $30. At 15M miles, there is absolutely nothing else to be done, unless you have a problem.

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(derk @ Dec 20 2006, 10:07 AM) [snapback]364555[/snapback]</div>
    And I thought I was optimistic with dreams of .25M miles.

5. INPrius

INPrius New Member

Thank you. There ends my train of thought...