1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

164k on '06. recommended service in Orange County

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sidewaysup, Aug 24, 2011.

1. sidewaysup

sidewaysup New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, I now have 164k miles on my '06 Prius, no problems, been running great overall, and I want to keep it that way. Had it since 60k, I believe I have had all the recommended services done at a dealer in San Diego. Though I'm trying to determine if I need to have the transaxle fluid change soon.

I'm trying to figure out what services I need to look at having done and when, and also any recommendations for dealers or mechanics in Orange County, California, or surrounding areas that know what they are doing, and are less likely to screw me over than the average dealer.

Thank you very much.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dealer: Ask Dianne to hook you up with the right people in the Carson Toyota service department. Dianne?s place

164K miles: It really depends on what you have had done. By now, you should have had the inverter cooling pump replaced for free under the recall, which includes 1 gallon of free coolant for that system. So that should be fine. A transaxle fluid change (automatic transmission fluid ATF WS, different from the cooling part) is highly recommended every 60,000 miles, even though Toyota claims a lifetime fill. Next, you need to have the engine coolant drained and filled. Might as well do the engine water pump and serpentine belt while you are at it, if it has not been done already. Serpentine belt replacement should be a free labor combo with the water pump. Finally, stuff on top of the engine: spark plugs, PCV valve. I clean the MAF sensor and throttle plate whenever I do those.

If you can't remember the last time you changed, or had changed, the cabin and engine air filters, get that done.

3. sidewaysup

sidewaysup New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great, thanks for the info