1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

167k 2010 w/ blown headgasket: Sell or fix?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Colby Wallace, Jun 22, 2023.

1. Colby Wallace

Colby Wallace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    After a pressure test from my mechanic, I just got word that my 2010 Prius with 160k miles on it has a blown head gasket. Coming here to explore my options. I replaced the battery last summer but the brake booster hasn't gone out on it yet. Do I:

A. Sell it and buy a new car. (Prius' with similar miles and year are listed on FB for $10,000.)

B. Pay to have the dealer in town repair it for $4600. (According to them they could do a head gasket repair for $4600. This would not be a whole engine rebuild.)

C. Something else?

I like the idea of just paying to get it repaired because I couldn't get a Prius like mine for $4600. But I am worried that I will pay for this and then have the brake boosters go out sometime in the three years. (I just had a friend pay to replace his head gasket, battery and brake boosters in that order this winter. He has spent $10,000+ in repairs.)

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Put a JDM engine in er about 2300 all in for me.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That leaves you money to fix the brake part one time when the time comes and then carry on for another good amount of time or mileage by that time you'll be ready to do something else

4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How's its condition otherwise? Consuming much oil? Consider a new short block?

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Go with option C since financial restraint isn’t an issue. That would be but a Tesla

Colby Wallace likes this.
  6. Priipriii

Priipriii Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #6 Priipriii, Jun 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Buy a rebuilt engine for $3500 delivered and have it installed. Any other repair has the very real potential to fail again in 2-12 months. Plus you fix oil burning.

8. James Finch

James Finch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Last I checked $1,800 with 1 year warranty head gasket change and other maintenance. I forget exactly, though ~$4,000 for 4 year warranty rebuilt replacement engine.

There are some other posts with links to the rebuilt engines and this one looks like reads ranking up there in highest quality: https://hybridpit.com/toyota-prius-2010-2015-1-8l-hybrid-engine-2zr-fxe-motor.html

Gives me a checklist of things to do roughly when I actually get to rebuilding mine or another. I foresee head gasket or engine change in the near future. Crazy in my situation, is no death rattle on startup since I cleaned the intake, replaced the PCV Valve and cleaned that circuit and cleaned up to the EGR Valve. Though I have had the rattle when in the situation of low HV battery, AC running full, 100% grill blocked, 200 to 205 engine coolant temp, stop and go traffic so accelerating from stop or low speed in some sort of sweet spot accelerating that I feather away by not pressing the pedal as soon as I hear and slower ramped throttling or just pressing pedal fast like PWR Mode to stop.

I removed one of my foam grill blocks and am not noticing the higher temp above 198 and the rattle. Though I haven't been in any stop and go traffic much for long periods like a half an hour or more yet. I'm stupid pushing my maintenance out if I can. These cars amaze me being I've went ~283,600 miles with not much maintenance.

#8 James Finch, Jun 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

10. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you can afford it buy a new car. Something simple and reliable. If you have space to keep it you can then explore fixing your Prius properly using a high quality experienced independent Prius shop, or just sell it with full honest disclosure to someone willing and/or able to fix it properly.

11. ray6088

ray6088 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My son took my 2012 prius with 200k miles. I offer him to swap my mustang ev. He refused it due to lack of charging stations at campus. I like my prius being trouble-free with 200k miles. Only two issues I had are the volume knob and tpms.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Grit highlights a head scratcher: why the heck block your grill, any percent, when you’re running AC??

Grit likes this.
  13. Colby Wallace

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Great condition otherwise. Consumes normal amount of oil as far as I can tell. Oil changed every 3-5k.

14. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Touché mt friend. Self induce over heating & blown head gasket by blocking grill 1000%!

15. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Trade it in plus 4600 on a used prime with low mileage. I don’t know about worrying about the dealer feelings, they are giving you about half anyway. I test drove a prius v before getting the prime and it had a bad transmission. I went out in the street with it and it was the worst gear noise I ever heard. Dealer says “aren’t they all like that?” Back we went, BMW dealer, fancy pants place.

16. Colby Wallace

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Help me understand why I shouldn't just pay the dealer or another shop to fix the head gasket issue? I apologize if the answer is obvious, but now that I am starting to price out engine replacement (haven't found anything cheaper than 9k so far) or a just getting a new car (considering $12-15k for a used outback with 100k miles), spending $4600 doesn't seem like a bad deal.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the only concern is the rest of the engine, the dealer would have to some serious checking.

won't your mech do the work?

18. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Too often a head gasket job on these engines fail in a short period of time due to bad blocks or heads. Factory pistons and rings were flawed from day one; occasionally engines were rebuilt free by Toyota using revised pistons and rings in the first five years.

Some like a used JDM engine because of the reported low miles and reduced cost versus a rebuild. Others prefer a rebuilt engine with new rings, bearings and a machined head. $3500 as described above will get you a rebuilt engine shipped to you. Any local mechanic could install it. I would do that any day before I spent $4600 for a questionable head gasket job. Many dealers will not even offer a head gasket job on these engines.

Point of reference: Some mobile services do head gasket jobs for $1500.

#18 rjparker, Jun 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
  19. Priipriii

Priipriii Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think its a bad deal considering a wrecked prius of similar year will probably go for around the same price. And if it has different problems like a bad battery or just bumper damage, you can just swap parts over. Idk, 4.6k seems pretty hefty for a gasket build you can do in your garage with some time and effort put into it.

Mine costed me $50, well for the felpro gasket. Everything else was time and lots of disappointment. But in the end i fixed it and hoping it lasts. If you live in my area, i can do it for you one of these weekends.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're both in the usa (y)