1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

17" gunmetal rims, tint, de-badged

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Scotty Danger, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Scotty Danger

Scotty Danger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The little guy is really coming together! I recently installed Drag DR-33 rims in 17" x 7.5 and Michelin Primacy MX4 215/45-17s. The handling is so much better it is ridiculous.

I already have the Tanabe strut tower brace and stiffening plate mods, but the new rims and tires sealed the deal. Strangely, my MPG went up. I previously had 15" Ecopias, but I got 54 MPG on the 20 mile drive home (I usually average around 48.5 on this freeway stretch). I drove another 40 miles today, and I'm cruising at 49.5.

I'd love to grab a G3, but prices are absurd, and my current Gen II just makes me happy. The final mod will probably be a projector retrofit. I think it would benefit from lowering springs, but I think that I will just wait until I get a new model and then go all out :)

Attached Files:

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car looks great!

Are those Primacy MXM4s?

Get some lowering springs and the handling is much improved. I would say it is equal to the gains you experience with the 17s.

3. Scotty Danger

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! Yes, I believe that I left out an "M" on the tire description - they are the MXM4s.

I would probably purchase the lowering springs if I could get a great deal on the install price. However, I'm a bit hesitant of sinking an additional $500 bucks into the car. We'll see if I cave :)

BTW, your Morimoto D2S conversion looks phenomenal. You were the one who inspired me to seek out a retrofit.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

I bet the blacked out lights would look great on your car. They use that special paint that looks like shiny metallic. I think they use VHT Nite Shade or Duplicolor Shadow Black Chrome.

Duplicolor "Shadow" Chrome Black-out Coating

Thanks for the details on the tires. Those are what I'm buying next. :)

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As for the springs, just do them when your stock struts wear out so then you are not really spending extra money beyond the price of springs. That's what i did and the handling is amazing. :)

6. Scotty Danger

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Costco has a $70 off special right now on Michelins (including the Primacy MXM4). The sales guy said that the MXM4 price is going to go up soon though.

I have always been interested in smoking the tails, but I'm worried about the legality. I don't care about the cops (they have better things to do than pull over a Prius); I'm just worried about being held liable if someone rear-ends me.

Then again, I guess that the projector retrofit would technically render the headlights non DOT/SAE compliant. Oh well :D

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks awesome! There is 1 thing I disagree w/ F8L on - I would get new springs NOW. :D Why wait?

8. Scotty Danger

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha I really do want those springs now. I saw some Teins on ebay for around $130 . . . seems pretty cheap. When do struts usually wear out? I'm at 75K

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OEM struts are usually in pretty poor shape after 30k but usually last for 60k+ before you start to really notice. I replaced mine after 134,000 but they were definitely worn out but not leaking.

If you want the car to feel sporty then do the springs. It really transforms the whole attitude of the car.

10. Scotty Danger

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm what brand of struts did you choose? I've heard the name KYB tossed around. Wow...worn out after only 30K!

11. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    KYB or Toyota OEM is really your only option, all that is made for the Gen II. It'd be great if there were Bilsteins but that's not the case.

12. Scotty Danger

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm. The car honestly handles great for what it is. 17" rims, mxm4s, strut brace, chassis brace...I think I just need to chill and then buy a gen III package 3 or 4 and go to town with the mods.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are still making payments on the car then a GenIII upgrade wouldn't be too bad down the road. Since my car is paid off it doesn't make sense for me to upgrade yet. I'll just have to wait till either the car falls apart or they come out with something worth making a payment on. Maybe a Prius C that gets 65mpg or something that flies! lol

14. Scotty Danger

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I feel you on that. My 2007 has been flawless with its reliability, and I've invested in a considerable amount of preventative maintenance. It would make the most financial sense to keep driving it, but of course I want something new :)

15. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Your car looks awesome! Keep it as long as you can!

16. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the car would ride better on no suspension than with bilsteins...bilsteins would make the prius cry like a lil baby....

I would love it if they made tokico illuminas (adjustable) struts for the car.

17. Scotty Danger

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Daves09Prius! The car has been absolutely flawless for the last 75K miles, and I do plan on keeping it for a fairly long time . . . even though I do lust after the Gen III :)

I've never thought of a car as an investment until I purchased the Prius.