1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

17" TC tires WITH stock TPMC :)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by sc_trojan, Sep 10, 2006.

1. sc_trojan

sc_trojan New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ok, after reading all of the posts that said you couldnt put the stock TPMC with the 17" Scion TC wheels, I asked the head wheel installer from West Coast Customs to get his opinion.

Since the TPMC bolts on to the wheel, even if the sensor doesnt lay flat- it doesnt really matter since the torque from the bolt will keep it in place. The TP sensor is pretty light, but the wheels need to be rebalanced.

So I got a set of takeoff 17" TC wheels with 5 miles on them and had WCC install them with my stock TPMC. Everything works perfect. No faults from the computer and the ride is much sportier (harsher to my wife). I will post pics tomorrow.

2. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What?! What bolts were you talking about trojan? I hope it's not the bolts that are 'outside of the wheel. Basically my understanding, the installer also showed this too me. The stock TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors) from the Prius don't fit the tC wheels. What is meant by this is that 'normally' with the stock wheels/rims that you have the sensors is flush with the inner 'wall' of the rim. Thus there is no movement. The installer that did mine had compared that with the tC wheel and said there was a gap between the sensor and the 'wall' of the rim for the tC. His warning was that the installing the sensor with a gap would lead to the high possibility that the sensor would 'wiggle' and move. Possibly loosen the bolt that held it in place from the outside.

Slight possibility that the loosening might result in instant decompression and give you a flat. I didn't want to run that risk so i'm living with the light.

What do you think?