1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

17" Tires: All season for comfort, rain/snow traction, low noise, spirited handling?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by plunk10, Feb 5, 2018.

1. plunk10

plunk10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I know I'm asking a lot, but I'm about to look for a new set of tires. Tire Rack's little recommender guide pushes me to the Pirelli Cinturato P7. In my previous Honda Accord, I was very happy with Michelin's Primacy MXV4, and it seems like the current version of those tires are the MXM4. Regardless, my Prius v Five came with Kumo 4x ii tires from the used toyota dealer. I have to admit these tires were great for dry weather performance, but not comfortable, especially over bumps.

Curious what you guys are running on your car. I'm at 101K miles total, with 55K on the Kuhmos. Furthermore, I wonder if the Michelins or Pirellis can last 100K miles (for instance, two sets of Michelin Primacy tires lasted at least 100K each on the Accord).

Thanks!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. lrisius

lrisius Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm running General RT43's on my v in 16" size. They are highly rated on Tire Rack and are generally lower priced than many similar tires. Their winter/snow ratings are very good which is a major reason that I chose them. There is a thread about these tires if you look for it.

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Looking at Continental Pure Contact LRRs for spring purchase.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think you can assume the Primacy MXM4 will have the same characteristics as the MXV4, say treadlife, or whatever. There might be some cross-pollination, but who knows. I've also got 17" tire purchase looming, on our regular Prius, in 215/45R17, and am considering the MXM4 as well. It does have the Green-X badge, and has decent reviews

I'm also considering the Premier A/S, but there's some off-putting factors about the latter, namely the 8.5/32" starting depth, and some reports of higher rolling resistance. FWIW, it's top-rated on TireRack.

5. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The Michelin Defenders, are an all season tire with a 90,000 mile life time, Toyotas aren't rough on tires, can't speak for Honda's.
    So either use any other tire and that's two sets of them to get to 90,000, or try the Defender's.

6. buckeyepost

buckeyepost Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm looking at the Dunlop Signature HP for $83/tire on TireRack. I'm replacing some Kuhmo Ecsta's that are just horrbile. 25mph-5mph braking vibrated the whole car...

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In 15" I assume??

8. Zogg

Zogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Consumer reports gave the Continental Pure Contact the highest rating for performance all season. They are reasonably prices at discount tire. The only negatives were poor braking on ice, and 50K - 55K milage rating. The best deal I could find was $500 mounted + tax (after MIR).
    I chose The Vogue Signature V ($300 mounted + tax). Happy with them so far after 15 miles. Big improvment from the worn out Toyos that were on the car when I bought it. They are rated for 60K miles.

9. buckeyepost

buckeyepost Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, the Dunlop Signature HP's will be
    No, these Dunlop Signature HP 's will be for my aftermarket summer Momo wheels I bought 215/45-17. They are on closeout. I have snow shoes on my stock 15's.

Mendel Leisk likes this.