1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

18" tire recommendation? Looking for quiet.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by fatdawg, Nov 4, 2014.

1. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Anyone have a recommendation on quieter set of tires? I have the Cooper RS3-A 225 40 18 which have excellent traction but too loud for my taste at low speeds.

Let me know if you have any recommendations.

iPhone ?

2. bino

bino JDM ZVW30

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Continental DWS...

3. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I also love my Continental ExtremeContact DWS sized 225/40/18

They are pretty quiet in comparison to the OE tire and others I've had used in the past on other cars. The tread wear rating is high on this tire. I have 53,000 miles on this set and they look like they can live up to 75,000 without issues. I had run these at 44 front and 42-40 rear and that made the ride a bit stiffer. I'm running 40 front and 38 rear now.

I considered the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum initially, but decided to go with Continental ExtremeContact DWS because of my past experience with them, recommendations from others, and my analysis of survey data. The Kumhos are still tempting because of the price and hightreadwear rating. According to the reviews and survey I read on TireRack.com, the Kumhos didn't perform as well in snow in comparison to the Continentals.

Continental has a Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tire out, ContiTouringContact CW95. I might try that tire out once these are up for replacement.

4. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the info, looks like Continental DWS are popular. Americas Tire was selling me the Continental AS, they say it's comparable, but I was a bit weary about it, I can't find much reviews for it. I'll see how much they can get the DWS instead.

If anyone wants my Coopers, hit me up, plenty of thread, Americas Tire is giving me $70 credit for them, they are almost new, paid $134 each for them.

iPhone ?

5. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The DWS are all seasons, Dry Wet Snow (DWS). If you are in the Bay Area of CA and don't plan on driving in Ice or Snow, they do make a DW version. The AS version might work too. You should check out the reviews, surveys, and ratings on tirerack.com

fatdawg likes this.
  6. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good info, no snow here for sure. Reading reviews are always inconsistent, there are several reviews of the Cooper being great with noise but they don't drive a Prius, same goes for Contis, they are a mixed bag. Comments from real users are the best.

iPhone ?

7. Dex

Dex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you still care about MPG, the Continental DWS is the lightest tire in 225/40R18 that I've found.

Nobody on this site had anything bad to say about them, when I was researching tires.

fatdawg likes this.
  8. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    DWS guys, I read plenty of reviews that the sidewalls are soft on those, do you notice it at that size? Any issues with bubbling (Had issues a long time ago with that on different tires, hated it)? What tire pressure are you running on yours?

Currently I'm considering both DW and DWS, but the DW has no mileage warranty.

9. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just wanted to update the thread, I went with the DWS it's super quiet compared to the Coopers! Now I can listen to the radio with volume set at mid 20s, not 40s.