1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

195/60R14 on '01 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by nitewolfgtr, Sep 22, 2008.

1. nitewolfgtr

nitewolfgtr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is it safe to install 195/60R14 on 2001 Prius? I know the height will be the same but what about the width of the tire and the clearance issue?

Also, how bad would my MPG be affected?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The last set of tires that I installed on my 2001 was that size since at the time, I could not buy 175 width XL-rated tires. No problem with clearance. I did not notice much of an mpg change.

It would be reasonable to expect an mpg decrease, but this is a function of having new tires (regardless of width) as well as having tires with the increased width. It's hard to say what the change will be as this depends upon what tires you currently are using and what tires you are thinking about buying.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well it may be impacted in a strange way. You'll need to check your speedometer calibration. When I switched from 175/65R14 to 175/70R14, my speedometer started reading about 5% low. So my indicated 40 mph is actually 42 mph. Well this impacts my MPG by giving an indicated worse MPG.

In your case, going to a smaller diameter (if that is the case,) the mileage will look great. But you may refill every 19 instead of 20 days.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

4. nitewolfgtr

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Cool. Yea, I just wanted to know if there is enough clearance under the wheel for a tire that wide.

I'm sure there's going to be some MPG reduction and I'm okay with that.

5. wwu123

wwu123 Junior Member

I've been running 195/60R14 for the last 50,000 miles on my '02. No problems with clearance. Tire outer diameter should be close to original tire size, so speedometer should be close to accurate.

I think I lost about 2-3% in mileage, but not as high as 5%. The road stability feels much firmer with the wider tire, and car looks a bit more macho :)

6. nitewolfgtr

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Okay. I think I decided to get 195/60/14 for my next tire.
    My next question is, what pressure should I run on?

I have Dunlop SP10 running 42psi front/40 psi rear now but with wider tires, where should I keep my pressure at?

Thanks

7. Copek

Copek New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been running those very tires for 50K miles now, without any problems. And they look so much better than stock. I bought my gen 1 used from dealer who replaced a cracked oem wheel with a set of new and somebody thought to put the larger size on. Fine by me. I average about 44 mpg in los angeles carpool lanes at 75 mph so I think my speed is affecting mpg more than tire size. Speed-o still right on according to school zone radar sign.

8. klodhopper

klodhopper New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About June 2008, we had to replace tires on our 2002. We were actually unable to find the stock tires, and were stuck with buying 195's.

The tire stores in our town couldn't even order the stock nor the 195's and luckily we were able to buy the 195 size Michelin tires from Sam's Club in Denver.

No noticeable change in handling, mileage, or wear. I think we were just lucky to have found some tires that would fit. Might have to consider changing rims next time if no tires are available for the stock rims.