1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

195 back to 175 tires, regret?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Rhysxj, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Rhysxj

Rhysxj New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm looking at getting a set of summer tires soon. I'm on 195 60 15 snow tires now, which I bought when my stock 175s started failing right before snow season (good timing). It seems there are more options in 195 and also it seems that the 195s aren't quite as harsh riding on chatter/bumps as the old 175s but maybe that's in my head. Of course I know the 175s are going to be a lot lighter and less rolling resistance, which is appealing, but I'm wondering if any one here has gone to 195s and then back to 175 and regret the move down in size?

Thanks for any insights!

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I have 195 in the back and 175 in front

3. Sir Drives Alot

Sir Drives Alot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I just made the switch to 195's (195/65/15, all seasons) and could not be happier. So far I have not noticed any significant loss in fuel economy.

4. Rhysxj

Rhysxj New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Wow I'm surprised there's no fuel eco lost as that would be a much bigger/heavier tire (25" vs 24"). Did you need to lift to get that size in there? I thought 195/65 required the Prius off-road lift In order to fit.

5. Sir Drives Alot

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    No lift. Overall tire diameter/circumference and sidewall height is the same (~1% difference). They are Continental True Contact Tours, which are an "eco" rated tire.They fit fine on the stock 5" wide wheels. They are 20 mm wider , but no clearance issues. Nothing rubs. An optional tire /wheel for the C in the US was a 16" wheel with 205/50/16 tires. But that model (the Prius C 4) did have a different steering rack fitted at the factory.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you want the measurements of the tire sizes you'll find them at tiresize.com (Tire Size Calculator) option.
    The Tire Size Calculator option @ tiresize.com offers two ways to get tire specs
    1: Get the specs on one tire size / a table of tire sizes to the right of the calculator
    2: Compare the specs of 2 different tire sizes / graphic renderings of both tire sizes side by side to the right of the calculator.
    Thanks for the confirmation Sir Drives Alot :)
    I'd also be interested in the weight difference between the 175 and the 195 of the tire you decide to get Rhysxj
    tiresize lists a 1lb difference between the 175 and 195 of Sir Drives Alot 's tire
    Continental TrueContact Tour Tires

#6 vvillovv, Feb 5, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  7. Sir Drives Alot

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I used that tire size calculator when I was planning what I would be getting to replace the OEM Goodyears.

vvillovv likes this.