1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1966 mile trip with our v...

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by skwcrj, Aug 14, 2012.

1. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    We drove from the PNW to Yellowstone and back with two adults, one seven year old, and a bunch of luggage. The trip took a little more than a week. Here are some stats:

Trip distance R/T = 1965.9
    Gallons used = 40.9
    MPG for the trip = 48.1 (calculated of course)
    Elevation gain = 8900
    Used ECO mode the whole trip.
    Total fuel cost = $149

The car had no problems maintaining 60 mph climbing an almost 8% grade at Homestake Pass southeast of Butte, Montana.

We ran with the A/C on when on the interstates. Even while running in ECO mode the whole trip, the A/C had no trouble keeping the cabin cool with outside temps close to 100 during parts of I-90 in Eastern WA.

One interesting observation about the traction battery is that on the long downhills, it would reach a maximum charge of 80% SOC (this is what the Scangauge showed) and the engine would tend to rev up to higher rpms. Normally you see the engine idling at around 992 rpm. In this case, it would increase to as high as 1700 rpm while constantly braking. I'm guessing that once the battery has reached a maximum (safe) charge, the ECU will then use the engine to assist in braking even if I haven't selected B mode.

Chazz8 likes this.