1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1K mi checkup

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chrism07924, May 4, 2005.

1. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

What do they do? Is it necessary? I have a long commute, so though I've only had the car since last Friday, I've got 500mi already. I wanted to stay clear of the dealership for a while (they make me nervous - watching them walk around with tools and such, inches away from car doors, mirrors, etc)

2. popoff

popoff New Member

1k mile checkup???

I'm not aware of any checkup or service required until the 5k oil change unless there's some sort of problem you want fixed.

Who told you that a 1k service was required?

3. vprius

vprius New Member

Just got mine last week. They told us it didn't need to come back till 5K mile check.

4. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

Interesting. I'm going to check again w/the dealer. I was so excited the day I picked it up, I may have misheard them, but I'm pretty sure they told me 1,000 mi checkup. If it's true, I'll post why here. I have my doubts. For some reason, NJ car dealerships give me the heebie jeebies (no offense to any good NJ sales/service guys/gals out there). I don't trust any of them.

5. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Toyota oil change and filter service for the first 2 years is every 6 months or 8000Km (4972 miles) which ever occurs first. What's up with these odd ball intervals I keep seeing? Of course, you can do the stuff whenever you are convinced it's necessary. I'll be prepared to compare my vehicle's condition and repair incidents as they relate to my following the recommended service schedules with anyone as long as I own my car. I'm betting on the Toyota engineers and not on the " I know better" crowd.

6. popoff

popoff New Member

Might be a ploy on the dealer's part to get you in and have another shot at selling you an extended warranty or something similarly expensive.

7. twdusa

twdusa New Member

In your excitement you probably just misunderstood what he said. There is NO 1000 mile check up! Enjoy the new car!

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Some technicians feel that the oil should be changed at 1K to remove break-in contamination.
    5K should be fine.