1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st day driving our Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chrisek, Nov 3, 2005.

1. chrisek

chrisek geek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey everyone! My wife finally let me drive our new Prius today (Salsa Red, Option #6) so I made it count and knocked out 400 miles!

I live in Morgan Hill, CA, and first thing on the agenda was going up to San Francisco to Caltrans/Fastrack for the hybrid Fastrack. Got up a little late so I was in traffic most of the way up. I counted 6 Prii on my way up and at one point we were 3 Prii abreast on 280 in the Palo Alto area (a red on my right and gold on my left!) Pretty cool stuff. When I got into the city and onto the Embarcadero my Nav thought I was in the Bay (about 40 ft east of where I really was) so I parked on hoofed it to the building.

Well, I hoofed it a little too far :rolleyes: and called them up (phone # is in the upper left hand corner) and they politely gave me proper directions over to them. For any locals looking for this building, it is NOT where you expect it to be, it is across the street from Pier 5 and there is pay parking on the same side right there as well. After about 3 minutes I had my little white box, papers, and "here's an extra copy of this form for you to mail into the DMV with your application". . . sweeteness.

Next stop Sacramento! I had found out (through the links on this forum actually) that you cannot walk into any DMV to pick up these stickers, oh no, way too top secret/double handshake to let the local branches deal with. You have to mail it in to a special dept in Sacto, so I thought I'd shave a day's time in the mail and visit some friends and my insurance agent to show off the new wheels :D

On this leg I see two: one blue and one white.

By this time my 1st priority complaint is the driver's seat. Too high up. I'm only 6'0" and I can't see some of the stoplights! Crazy stuff, that I need to look into. If I get something fabbed up is anyone else interested? I'd genuinely like to knock an inch off of that altitude.

By the time I get to Sac I'm getting comfortable with the steering wheel controls: "My gosh, what geniuses! They put the toggle between info/map on the steering wheel! I use those all the time!" etc. No, that was not sarcasm. A/C on/off toggle? Why hasn't anyone done this before? 15 buttons on the steering wheel and everyone of them belongs there. If I could make a suggestion to Toyota about that wheel would be to refinish the "gold/bronze" pods containing the buttons with material from the seat/armrest/door insterts. Minor stuff. f

While travelling about Roseville and Citrus Heights I saw 5-7 Prii in driveways, parked in shopping areas, etc.

Visit a couple of friends (Roseville Toyota is still backed up if anyone is hoping to find a free one there), hit the Taco Bell, then the road back to Morgan Hill. Into Sacto I was averaging 48.xmpg by the center screen. By the time I get back to home I'm at 47.1 (Wth?) cruise was set at 75mph on all 3 legs whenever possible (I can now see why some people can get better mileage without using the cruise, but man is that carefree cruising with it on!). I finally get to feel it in some sidewinds. Umm, I hope that the bracing helps because this car needs it. What scares me is that it wasn't truly windy , mind you I was only getting blown around a couple of inches it is just that I wouldn't have expected any movement at all.

Got home, picked up the wife, and blasted up to Mountain View to take a friend out to dinner. Man I love these HID's! What a difference they make. My friend was blown away by the car, especially the smart key and when engine wasn't on. Cool stuff.

I like this car, I'm happy my wife loves it so much. I need to get a rubber cargo mat so she can throw her bike in the back, and the iPod adapter so she can hook up. On top of that we now both HAVE TO HAVE bluetooth phones for x-mas B)

I have posted in the mods about bracing. I have purchased the TOMS's floor stiffener, and BT Tech's brace. I will also be purchasing the two other TOM's braces (one is a strut tower brace, and I want to see where the other one ends up) and will report on all of these as they show/get installed.

I'm concerned about the body roll and see myself getting the TRD Sportivo for this car. My '00 MR-S actually got more comfortable with it, and as there aren't any "anti-sway bars" readily available for our car, I need to investigate springs as a way to solve it. I happen to agree with Brian over at BT Tech that the car is sprung too softly, and I hope this fixes/reduces the body roll to a satisfactory level.

I am not independently wealthy, so I am limiting myself to two purchases/month (and I did 3 in October if you include the car :blink: ) so this will not be overnight results. If anyone else is interested in chasing these things down, I think cross-posting on results of these mods will help a lot of people decide if they are interested in them. I am also willing to coordinate with others so that we cover more products quicker. Just a thought. I really like this car, and thank you for the cool forum.

2. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :D all i can say is WELCOME TO THE PRIUS FAMILY!! :D may the mileage be with you! :p

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Good post! More fun to read than "What is B for?". :p

I'm a little afraid of the mods making it more rigid. You first. :lol:

I agree, the steering wheel controls are masterful.

Jack
    Winters, CA (between Sac and SF, 10 mi. N of Vacaville)

4. VaPrius

VaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just got mine a week ago. The car IS AMAZING isn't it. I've put on a 100 miles just giving everyone at work a short ride. My wife is a little afraid of it thought. The car is a little too intelligent sometimes. I commute 70 miles a day and can already see the savings. Driving is exciting again!

5. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

Congratulations! - I have only seen 3 total since I started looking for them (this summer).

6. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting! But from this long story and some of the replies I'm beginning to wonder if owning a Prius makes some folk take the car out more than they otherwise might have done. I know my own mileage has gone up since I owned a Prius.
    Maybe the extra road miles done will cancel out any reduction in motoring costs.

7. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Glad you enjoyed your drive in your wife's car. Any fights over who gets to take it (today)?

Husband and I traded in my old Civic for our Prius. On the test drive Dan kept saying, "You have to like this car; it's your car, you know." Stuff like that.

But who drives Foxy? Not me! Dan puts 350+ miles on it every week. I'm stuck using his 'ole Honda Accord for tooling around town. "But honey, I'm the one who drives the most, I should be using the Prius." <_<

Dan and I have started playing games with which car gets parked where. Dan leaves first in the mornings. We have a stacking two-car garage. He parks Foxy outside in the lot, if the Accord's not in the garage when he gets home in the evenings.

Hmm. I could hide the fobs.

8. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Chrisek,
    If you liked the wheel-mounted control buttons, try the verbal commands. They'll blow you away.

Find the "voice" button on the wheel. Depress it.
    Wait for the confirm beep and the microphone display on the screen. Then say, "Audio on" in a clear, steady voice.
    The radio should turn on.
    To turn off, depress the button, wait for the signal and say, "Audio off."

There are lots of other voice commands.
    "I'm hungry" causes the NAV system to display eatry icons on the map.
    You can also change the temp setting on the heating/cooling system.
    Etc.

Enjoy!

9. chrisek

chrisek geek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the replies! I need to read about the voice commands for sure! I thought it was mainly for bluetooth, I am glad to hear that I am wrong.

The Prius is now the designated "long-distance" car that will see 18,000-24,000 miles per year basing on our history with our car of that role. I will only drive that car on road trips, to take in for service (across the street), and *maybe* when I need to go somewhere (like yesterday). Otherwise it is mainly my wife's. What can I say? A happy wife . . . . B)

I will post in the performance mods area as the chassis stiffeners come in. If nothing else it will be knowledge base stuff, keep in mind these pieces don't make the ride any firmer, they help support the chassis and let the steering and suspension do their jobs better. If nothing else it keeps rattles and squeaks away for a much longer period of time.

10. HeyKB

HeyKB Not so new member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With that kind of mileage going on the car, you might want to get the extended warranty. Get it through PriusChat - you'll save money and help support the forum.

No, I don't work here. Just a happy fan. We'll be signing up for the extended warranty once we've had the car for a few more months. We need to see what combo of years/miles will work best.

11. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

That would be me... :D

Oh yeah, welcome to the cult... :ph34r:

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You Prius owners don't keep any "Kool-aid" handy in case gas would ever drop under $1/ gallon do you?

13. Spunky

Spunky New Member

I would appreciate it if you, Malorn, would stop posting to this site. I would welcome you back once you have either purchased a Prius or are seriously considering purchasing one in the near future.

You just don't "get it" and your posts are getting tiresome.

I'm sorry; I think I just "flamed" you. That's a first for me.

It's sad. You probably are clueless re. the effect your attitudes, as reflected in your posts, has on others.

Just wondering out loud: have you ever been banned from other sites?

14. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I'm astonished. Lots of otherwise bright people have allowed this person, who comes to us with no intelligent questions, much less information, to get them overheated.

I've steered clear from day one.

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

47MPG isn't bad for 75MPH.

16. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :blink: TROLL ALERT

Make note of whose posts to ignore. I also avoid posts by those who utilize irritating, over-animated avatars or signatures with huge photos or text. Makes for somewhat more peaceful forum participation.

17. Mystery Squid

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man, that one brought tears...

18. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

While I have no feelings about malorn or any other accused "Trolls", I just want to point out that you can always "Ignore" a user. Then thier posts simply show up as a "You have chosen to ignore this user, Click here to view the post or click here to un-ignore"

Whether or not we like someone's posts, we all have the right to post our thoughts. We also have the right to ignore whomever we want. We even have the right to ask someone to be banned if they are particularly troublesome (as in actually causing harm or posting completely unrelated troll posts)

For now, you can always ignore a user, and if you really need someone removed, send a PM to a moderator (efusco), who has the power to ask someone to leave (or make them leave if need be)

Using malorn as an example, (because he seems to be latest target), maybe if everyone who doesn't like his posts set's him to "ignored" he would find that no-one is listening to him, and might leave on his own.

In the case of this thread, I would agree that his comment was non-sensical, but I feel badly that this is turning into ANOTHER troll/anti-troll thread. I feel even worse adding to it, instead of staying on topic.

As for the original poster in this thread, I think you should read up about setting your home address into a quick access location. From there, you can do a voice command "go home" and it will know your destination automatically. The other really important one is "P O I off", which turns off any random icons on the map that show up if the car misunderstands your voice command. ("I didn't say ATM machines! I said 68 degrees!")

Lastly, look up the thread for "North Up" vs "Track up" which chooses wheter the car rotates or the map rotates when you make a turn. One will feel more obvious than the other, depending on how you drive and give directions. Pushing the icon in the top left of the map sets this option.

19. chrisek

chrisek geek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks to other posters in this forum we tried out voice commands last night (easy killer!) and had a blast. Definitely a lot left to figure out with this car.

I'd also like to clear up something else, I wasn't necessarily dissapointed with 47mpg, just didn't understand it dropping from 48mpg is all. After reading through some more threads I know I am getting better than average mpg for such a "fresh" car, so I am pretty excited about that.

Now, when do I get to drive the car again? :(

20. Mystery Squid

"'02 ZX-12R - My commuter"

Yeah, that's a commuter all right... :D