1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st day driving the Prius. Left headlights on for 5 hours, battery drained.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pardreamer, Jan 30, 2008.

1. pardreamer

pardreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just got a 2008 package #2 Prius. Bad start for me, I forgot to turn off the headlights in the morning and when I go to lunch, I counldn't start it. Had a friend jump start the car and I was able to drive ok after that.

First, I thought the headlights automatically turn its self off after a period of inactivity. Is this right?

I am not sure if this is simply a problem of the headlights not turning its self off or it is some more serious problem? Could some one please explain?

Many Thanks,

Par

2. tbirdhs

tbirdhs Tbirdhs

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    my 08 with #2 turns of the headlight when i open the door to exit. :confused: check the manual. Sure you turned off the car power??

3. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    did you exit the car through something other than the driver's door?

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Australia the headlights turn of automatically if you open the drivers door after you power down the car.
    For this to work you must not open the door before powering down the system. Beware if you are a person who reverse parks with the door opened.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Same with the U.S. version. You always want to check and make sure the lamps are really out.

Tom

6. onree

onree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I thought the headlights also went out even if you opened the driver's side door and then turned the car off.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never tried that.

8. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations on the new Prius and welcome to PC.

I turn off the lights as a habit (I turn the lights on everytime I drive) after turning off the car.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a sequence issue where sometimes the lights don't go off. You may be right for this particular sequence, but what is important to remember is that is easy to accidentally override the auto-shutoff feature. Never assume that they will go off; always check.

Tom

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it possible you accidently put the car back into ACC or IG ON mode by hitting the button a second time when you shut down?

While it's possible to exit the passenger door and get the headlights to stay on I suspect that's not what you did. It makes more sense that, as a new driver, you inadvertently were in ACC or IG On.

If not that, then it's possible that your rear hatch isn't completely closed...that's probably the most notorious way that the 12v drains as even if it's just slightly ajar the interior light will stay lit and drain the battery...we have several victims of that on this site.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if you turn off headlights and then turn them right back within a sec, they will not turn off.

i think you have other issues going

12. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Always lock the car after you get out. That way it will beep at you if any doors are ajar or if the car is not powered off.

Sorry about the dead battery, but things will get better!

13. pardreamer

pardreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I left the headlights on at 6:30am. It probably turned its self off. At 8am, I was showing to car to a few colleagues who opened the the hood and hatch.

When I came back to the car at lunch time, the hatch was not completely closed. I am not sure if by opening the doors and hatch, the headlights will turn its self on again and because the hatch wasn't properly closed, remains on.

But the car is fine now. Average mpg is 51 mpg.

Thanks, Par

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definately the hatch!

15. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Same here in the states. But I never could understand, that as advanced as the Prius is, that there are so many opportunities to kill the 12 volt battery. In my 1997 Ford F-150, all the lights (interior and exterior) would extinguish after 40 minutes of inactivity with the ignition off. Simple. You would have to try real hard to kill the F-150's battery. Why the Pruis does not incorporate some sort of system to prevent a dead 12 volt battery is beyond me.

And while were on the subject of batteries, same with the HV battery. Most of us know on this board not to push the car if you have run out of fuel because you may damage the expensive HV battery. But I'd be willing to bet most Prius drivers are not aware you can possibly damage the HV battery if you run out of fuel. That's one reason I'd always be wary of a used Prius; hmm, has the HV battery been stressed because of an out of fuel situation in its past history??

So why can't the Prius figure this out too? Just like a conventional automobile, when you run out of fuel that should be the end of the line. Why does the Prius allow someone to damage the HV battery in such a situation??

Rick
    #4 2006

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not following you here. You say "left the headlights on at 6:30 AM. It probably turned its self off"
    Not sure what that means as this car has no delayed on & off. It won't turn itself off later. And the hatch has nothing to do with the headlights either.
    Its very simple. If you open the door before you shut the car off the lights stay on. Its an excellent system. Leave the lights on. Shut the car off....then open the door...get out..and lock the car. In that order. Always without exception lock the door. It will beep if you have a hatch ajar or left the car in ACC or On. Oh and read the owners manual.

17. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ed,

He left the lights on. He could tell because of the position of the headlight switch. In his initial post, he assumed the headlights drained the battery. After reading Fusco's post and remembering his actions of the day, he realized that the battery went dead because he did not properly close the hatch.

18. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I leave my lights on 24/7 for safety. As soon as you open the DRIVERS' side door, with the power off, the headlights go off. The only time I ALMOST killed the 12V batt was when I opened the passenger door and powered up to do some quick cleaning while listening to public radio (that's the side of the car next to my house and front walk). I powered down and closed the door and went inside... Came out later and apparently caught it JUST before the batt totally drained, since the headlights DON'T power off if you just open the passenger door. Wouldn't start at first and window opening with ACC ON was very sluggish. I left it with lights off for an hour or two and she started right up. I drove her a bit to make sure the 12V got well charged and she's had no batt problems since.

I think you somehow were powered up with the passenger side door open, and the lights stayed on. Just be careful of that and you can otherwise leave the headlights on.

19. bmoerdyk2

bmoerdyk2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thank you so much for your post!! You saved me...
    A friend was kind enough to call me and let me know my headlights were on. After <3 hours, the hybrid battery was down to "2 bars" according to the energy screen. From your post, I knew I couldn't just wait until the next morning...
    Just goes to show how small the hybrid battery is.

20. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :welcome: Welcome to PriusChat, bmoerdyk2, but you are mistaken about the hybrid battery, or rather, the high voltage Hybrid Vehicle traction battery. It's quite substantial, and it's also completely disconnected from the car except when the Prius is in READY mode.

The headlights, radio, and other low-voltage equipment runs off the small 12V battery. It is rather dinky and can be drained fairly quickly if you leave something on. It is always connected to the car and provides a tiny bit of power all the time to maintain your radio station settings, the clock, the SKS system, etc.

The little battery is charged by the big battery. The big battery is charged by the engine and regenerative braking. If you leave your car in READY with the lights or AC on, the engine will automatically start to charge the HV battery when it gets low, perhaps as low as one purple bar. As long as you have gas, the car will keep the HV battery from getting too low. If you ever run down your little battery, put the car in READY for at least 20 minutes. Go for a drive.